Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Assenza, Chris" <ca...@Accessdc.com> on 2001/07/31 21:22:03 UTC

Silly Question - Where is the notEmpty tag?

It is on the web page's documentation but nowhere to be found in the source
or TLD...I'm assuming it's been deprecated. It may be a good idea to take it
off the page cause I was all excited about it until my JSP screamed at me.
:P

Chris

Re: Classpath problem

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Frederick N. Brier wrote:

> Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 01:41:30 -0400
> From: Frederick N. Brier <fb...@multideck.com>
> To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Classpath problem
>
> Help me understand something.  commons-beanutils.jar,
> commons-collections.jar, commons-digester.jar, struts.jar are placed in my
> .war files WEB-INF/lib directory.  Everything is fine.  I additionally copy
> them into my JVM's classpath (in JBoss by copying them into the
> jboss/lib/ext directory) and my Action and Form classes generate
> java.lang.ClassNotFound exceptions.  Having them in just jboss/lib/ext and
> not the WEB-INF/lib also generates a java.lang.ClassNotFound
> exception.  Why?  Why does Struts care about where the .jar files are in
> the classpath?

The reason has to do with the nitty gritty details of the way class
loaders work in Java -- but the bottom line is that if a class Foo needs
access to other classes that are in /WEB-INF/classes or /WEB-INF/lib, then
class Foo must *itself* be stored in /WEB-INF/classes or /WEB-INF/lib.

> My reason for wanting to do this was most of my .war files were going to be
> built on top of Struts.  There are also "base" utility classes that
> inherited from org.apache.struts.action.ActionForm and
> org.apache.struts.action.Action that most of my classes were going to
> inherit from.  They were going to go in a .jar file that were deployed to
> /jboss/lib/ext.  It didn't seem appropriate to have them all in each .war file.
>
> Thank you.
> Fred.

On the contrary, it's very appropriate -- the rationale is based on the
idea that web applications should be as *stand alone* as possible, and
include everything they need.

Craig

Classpath problem

Re: Silly Question - Where is the notEmpty tag?

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@tumbleweed.com>.
The <logic:empty> and <logic:notEmpty> tags are part of Struts 1.1, and
hence only available in the nightly builds at this time. If you're using
Struts 1.0, that would explain the problem you are seeing.

For documentation that accurately reflects the build you are using, your
best bet is to use the struts-documentation.war web app included in the
distribution.

--
Martin Cooper