Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dale Ghent <da...@elemental.org> on 2016/09/14 22:35:21 UTC

Re: httpd and letsencrypt

Apologies from necro’ing this thread, I’m just catching up.

As a maintainer/user of a lesser-known open source OS (OmniOS, based on illumos, which is the carry-on of what you all might remember as OpenSolaris after Oracle killed it) I’ve had my own issues around attempting to select a suitable letsencrypt client that works on OmniOS and maintaining it. I’ve got one working (getssl) and it’s basically a giant shell script with modifications to work in our native userland.

The plain matter for people like myself is that most letsencrypt clients out there are either Python or Shell script, with the former tending to require non-mainstream C modules that don’t play well on anything outside of Linux or *BSD, and the latter written with GNU userlands in mind. The prospect of having cert management baked in to Apache httpd is tantalizing - a perhaps more platform-agnostic approach that replaces the mess of scripts and cronjobs that we see today.

Of course it would be an optional module, and anyone turning it on with a pre-existing LE setup should do so in an orderly way. Either way, facilitating SSL certs in light of HTTP/2 would be something I would be happy to see, even if at any other time such a facility would be seen as outside the scope of httpd.

/dale

Re: httpd and letsencrypt

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Anything new on this?