Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Mark London <mr...@psfc.mit.edu> on 2018/12/10 17:45:53 UTC

Another form of obfuscation email.

Hi - Here's another form of obfuscation spam.  This time, not a porn
blackmail one.   Almost the whole text is obfuscated.

https://pastebin.com/VURwmrrF

I had a high score assigned to the rule HTML_OBFUSCATE_90_100, which is
why the message got a high spam rating.   By default though, that rule
is disabled (score = 0).   Without that, the email would have gotten
through.

Rule T_MIXED_ES was triggered.   But that rule has too many false
positives to be of any use (IMHO, from looking at my spam logs).

Thanks! - Mark

Re: Another form of obfuscation email.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Mon, 10 Dec 2018, Mark London wrote:

> Hi - Here's another form of obfuscation spam.  This time, not a porn
> blackmail one.   Almost the whole text is obfuscated.
>
> https://pastebin.com/VURwmrrF

__UNICODE_OBFU_ASC hits that pretty well, but the FP avoidance for the
scored version was a bit too aggressive. Fixed.

> I had a high score assigned to the rule HTML_OBFUSCATE_90_100, which is why
> the message got a high spam rating.   By default though, that rule is
> disabled (score = 0).   Without that, the email would have gotten through.

HTML_OBFUSCATE_90_100 gets no hits in the masscheck corpus. Potentially we
should set a fixed override score for it.

I've tweaked a couple of other rules that this hit that were either
testing-only or filtered out. It should score higher soon.

  5 days until Bill of Rights day

Re: Another form of obfuscation email.

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 11 Dec 2018, at 7:52, RW wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 16:02:33 -0500
> Bill Cole wrote:
>
>> On 10 Dec 2018, at 14:13, RW wrote:

>>> You say obfuscated, but it looked completely unreadable to me.
>>
>> The text/plain part is garbage, but the text/html part renders to a
>> mostly readable phish.
>
> I see it depends on the client,

Yes. For easy readability, the HTML renderer must honor styling
attributes instructing it to draw some characters inside words as
invisible and zero-width. This provides a handle for a 'rawbody' rule
and there are rules in the 'nonKAM' set that Kevin curates which catch
on that mail almost accidentally...

> this is a typical line as rendered by
> claws-mail:
>
>   Ρnflе2аgѕsе Сal3ісκml Неvге tsο9 геdνіеywtv
> thіѕ а3rсt4іν5qіxtуv аndv2
>   uf0ροsn νегvіfісiаtzіv9οtn, wе wfіl049l гsеmοoνеl
> а9nу
>   ге2ѕittгhісt02іοoni2ѕ ρlnlас5е4d οnsz9 уοvuoгz
> ρгοfoіolе.
>

> SpamAssassin renders the body text similarly.

Yes, and that should provide places to hang 'body' rules for someone
with the time & skill to write them. Bayes could in principle do the
work, except for the problem of the inserts acting like crypto 'salt'
does for thwarting pre-calculated hash tables.

Re: Another form of obfuscation email.

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
Bill Cole wrote:

> On 10 Dec 2018, at 14:13, RW wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 12:45:53 -0500
> > Mark London wrote:
> >
> >> Hi - Here's another form of obfuscation spam.  This time, not a
> >> porn blackmail one.   Almost the whole text is obfuscated.
> >>
> >> https://pastebin.com/VURwmrrF
> >>

> > You say obfuscated, but it looked completely unreadable to me.
>
> The text/plain part is garbage, but the text/html part renders to a
> mostly readable phish.

I see it depends on the client, this is a typical line as rendered by

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.

--
Bill Cole

Re: Another form of obfuscation email.