Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brett Knights <kn...@tanner.com> on 2004/02/23 21:13:18 UTC

Sporadic NoClassDefFoundError

Hi,
I am running TC 4.1.29 on Linux with jdk 1.4.2. I have two machines that are set up to be quite similar.
Occasionally when I start tomcat my log contains such things as:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/ServletContextListener (from one machine)

or

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet (from the other machine)

If I restart tomcat it sometimes starts normally on the next restart. Sometimes it takes two or three restarts but eventually the tomcat process is started properly and everything runs.

There is only one copy of servlet.jar on these machines.

Any ideas would be appreciated.