Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2007/05/25 11:07:35 UTC

[RFO] [1.4] Global proxy URL vs. reserved URL space

Hi Lenya devs,

this is a serious and quite urgent issue because it blocks the RC.
It would be great if we could get more opinions.

For more information, please see
http://www.nabble.com/Status-of-proxying-issue-for-1.4-tf3794430.html

IIUC Thorsten prefers the global proxy URL, Michi and I prefer the
reserved URL space.

WDTOT? TIA!

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: [RFO] [1.4] Global proxy URL vs. reserved URL space

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.
On 5/25/07, Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> this is a serious and quite urgent issue because it blocks the RC.
> It would be great if we could get more opinions.
>
> For more information, please see
> http://www.nabble.com/Status-of-proxying-issue-for-1.4-tf3794430.html
>
> IIUC Thorsten prefers the global proxy URL, Michi and I prefer the
> reserved URL space.
>
> WDTOT? TIA!
>
> -- Andreas
>

> --
> Andreas Hartmann, CTO
> BeCompany GmbH
> http://www.becompany.ch

I think having the reserved URL space within the pub is the better
approach, but only if it turns out to be easy to implement (doesn't
brings up a lot of new bugs).  I don't know if that can be judged
without a test implementation.

Re: [RFO] [1.4] Global proxy URL vs. reserved URL space

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 09:30 -0500, Richard Frovarp wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> > Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
> >
> >> Hi Lenya devs,
> >>
> >> this is a serious and quite urgent issue because it blocks the RC.
> >> It would be great if we could get more opinions.
> >>
> >> For more information, please see
> >> http://www.nabble.com/Status-of-proxying-issue-for-1.4-tf3794430.html
> >>
> >> IIUC Thorsten prefers the global proxy URL, Michi and I prefer the
> >> reserved URL space.
> >>

> > Up to now it looks like this:
> >
> > - pro: Michi, Bob, Andreas
> > - con: Thorsten, Jörn
> >
> > Well, ATM I'll support every option which helps us to get the RC out.
> > If the proxy setting works and doesn't require any changes to Lenya,
> > we should just go for it.
> >
> > Is anyone still busy in with the proxy issue?
> > If not, I'd say we leave it as it is now and prepare another RC.
> >
> > -- Andreas
> >

> As it stands now CSS and modules still need fixing for proxy support, right?

No. Should be fixed with the last version of the patch.

salu2

Posted by Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 11:22 -0500, Richard Frovarp wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> >> Up to now it looks like this:
> >>
> >> - pro: Michi, Bob, Andreas
> >> - con: Thorsten, Jörn
> >>
> >> Well, ATM I'll support every option which helps us to get the RC out.
> >> If the proxy setting works and doesn't require any changes to Lenya,
> >> we should just go for it.
> >>
> >> Is anyone still busy in with the proxy issue?
> >> If not, I'd say we leave it as it is now and prepare another RC.
> >>

> > Without applying the patches of this issue?
> >
> > It addresses a lot of things and a RC should IMO contain this fixes,
> > after all the bug is a blocker.
> >
> > I will apply the patches if no one objects, we should then announce the
> > freeze.
> >
> > salu2
> >

> I'm trying to test the patches, however I'm having problems. The patches
> don't apply against the current trunk.

Hmm, yeah just made an update and got
C    src/modules/sitetree/xslt/navigation/sitetree2nav.xsl
C    src/pubs/default/sitemap.xmap
src/modules-core/linking/java/src/org/apache/lenya/cms/cocoon/transformation/UuidToUrlTransformer.java

Exactly that is the problem of leaving patches too long in the bugzilla.

I will try to resolve it but I guess 2. and 3. will need Andreas eyes.

> I've gone back to an older
> version. Now I'm running into other issues that I don't know if they are
> a result of the patch or other bugs that have been fixed that I'm
> missing. I'm all for getting this working, then freezing.

Ok, thanks for your feedback.

salu2

Re: [RFO] [1.4] Global proxy URL vs. reserved URL space

Posted by Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 15:35 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
>>
>>> Hi Lenya devs,
>>>
>>> this is a serious and quite urgent issue because it blocks the RC.
>>> It would be great if we could get more opinions.
>>>
>>> For more information, please see
>>> http://www.nabble.com/Status-of-proxying-issue-for-1.4-tf3794430.html
>>>
>>> IIUC Thorsten prefers the global proxy URL, Michi and I prefer the
>>> reserved URL space.
>>>
>> Up to now it looks like this:
>>
>> - pro: Michi, Bob, Andreas
>> - con: Thorsten, Jörn
>>
>> Well, ATM I'll support every option which helps us to get the RC out.
>> If the proxy setting works and doesn't require any changes to Lenya,
>> we should just go for it.
>>
>> Is anyone still busy in with the proxy issue?
>> If not, I'd say we leave it as it is now and prepare another RC.
>>

> Without applying the patches of this issue?
>
> It addresses a lot of things and a RC should IMO contain this fixes,
> after all the bug is a blocker.
>
> I will apply the patches if no one objects, we should then announce the
> freeze.
>
> salu2

I'm trying to test the patches, however I'm having problems. The patches
don't apply against the current trunk. I've gone back to an older

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Jörn Nettingsmeier schrieb:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
>>> Hi Lenya devs,
>>>
>>> this is a serious and quite urgent issue because it blocks the RC.
>>> It would be great if we could get more opinions.
>>>
>>> For more information, please see
>>> http://www.nabble.com/Status-of-proxying-issue-for-1.4-tf3794430.html
>>>
>>> IIUC Thorsten prefers the global proxy URL, Michi and I prefer the
>>> reserved URL space.
>>
>> Up to now it looks like this:
>>
>> - pro: Michi, Bob, Andreas
>> - con: Thorsten, Jörn
>>
>> Well, ATM I'll support every option which helps us to get the RC out.
>> If the proxy setting works and doesn't require any changes to Lenya,
>> we should just go for it.
>
> sorry for my silence on this matter.
> i need to get updated on the latest changes after six weeks of forced
> absence - until i've found time to do that, i'd like to withdraw the
> issues i raised earlier and entrust them to your judgement...

FYI - a root proxy element had been added to the publication proxy
configuration. Later, it has been replaced by the GlobalProxies service:

http://lenya.apache.org/docs/1_4/tutorials/proxy.html#Configuring+the+Global+Proxies

-- Andreas

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
>> Hi Lenya devs,
>>
>> this is a serious and quite urgent issue because it blocks the RC.
>> It would be great if we could get more opinions.
>>
>> For more information, please see
>> http://www.nabble.com/Status-of-proxying-issue-for-1.4-tf3794430.html
>>
>> IIUC Thorsten prefers the global proxy URL, Michi and I prefer the
>> reserved URL space.
>
> Up to now it looks like this:
>
> - pro: Michi, Bob, Andreas
> - con: Thorsten, Jörn
>
> Well, ATM I'll support every option which helps us to get the RC out.
> If the proxy setting works and doesn't require any changes to Lenya,
> we should just go for it.

sorry for my silence on this matter.
i need to get updated on the latest changes after six weeks of forced
absence - until i've found time to do that, i'd like to withdraw the
issues i raised earlier and entrust them to your judgement...

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

Kurt is up in heaven now.

Re: [RFO] [1.4] Global proxy URL vs. reserved URL space

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by so...@apache.org.
On 5/26/07, Joern Nettingsmeier <ne...@folkwang-hochschule.de> wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> > Thorsten Scherler schrieb:

> >> The problem with reserved url spaces for modules is that it is highly
> >> confusing. Why should we prefix global modules with pubs/area? That does
> >> not make sense for me. Publication specific modules yes, global no.
> >
> > In principle I agree, but this is one of the rare occasions where
> > I'd prefer to handle the issue pragmatically. For my personal use
> > of Lenya it is very important that the URL space of a website is
> > self-contained, preferrably without extra configuration or
> > implementation.
> >
> > Of course I could add hooks to my publication which map the module
> > URL spaces into the publication URL space. And I'm quite confident
> > that many people will do this, ending up with a lot of boilerplate
> > code.
>
> i agree that thorsten's suggestion is more awkward to use. i prefer it
> nonetheless. it requires some extra configuration work, but it gets the
> job done without implicit semantics... clogging the publication URI
> space is a serious decision, and if we make it now, we make it for some
> time to come. i'd like to rethink both context prefix and proxy url
> handling for the next major lenya release anyway - that's why i'd prefer
> a slightly awkward solution without subtle implications over a pragmatic
> one that leaves us with cruft in the future...
>
> lenya is a multi-publication cms, hence it is quite natural that it
> should have global resources.
> a self-contained URI space for publications is a good argument, but you
> can easily achieve that in your publication sitemap - i.e. you add
> boilerplate code when you need something special, which is ok (adding
> boilerplate code for standard scenarios is not imho).
>
> regards,
> jörn

A Publication ...
- has a datastore for resources (file system, Jackrabbit, etc.)
- defines access control (file system, LDAP, etc.)
- includes functionality (local or inherited from global.)
- is the root of a Lenya website.

Lenya should define a default publication for requests with no
publication specified.

What functionality is independent of a publication?  Adding and
deleting Publications is the only functionality I would expect to
apply at the server level.  That could be implemented with an
administration publication.

What am I missing?

solprovider

Re: [RFO] [1.4] Global proxy URL vs. reserved URL space

Posted by Joern Nettingsmeier <ne...@folkwang-hochschule.de>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler schrieb:
>> On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 11:07 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>>> Hi Lenya devs,
>>>
>>> this is a serious and quite urgent issue because it blocks the RC.
>>> It would be great if we could get more opinions.
>>>
>>> For more information, please see
>>> http://www.nabble.com/Status-of-proxying-issue-for-1.4-tf3794430.html
>>>
>>> IIUC Thorsten prefers the global proxy URL, Michi and I prefer the
>>> reserved URL space.
>> The problem with reserved url spaces for modules is that it is highly
>> confusing. Why should we prefix global modules with pubs/area? That does
>> not make sense for me. Publication specific modules yes, global no.
>
> In principle I agree, but this is one of the rare occasions where
> I'd prefer to handle the issue pragmatically. For my personal use
> of Lenya it is very important that the URL space of a website is
> self-contained, preferrably without extra configuration or
> implementation.
>
> Of course I could add hooks to my publication which map the module
> URL spaces into the publication URL space. And I'm quite confident
> that many people will do this, ending up with a lot of boilerplate
> code.

i agree that thorsten's suggestion is more awkward to use. i prefer it
nonetheless. it requires some extra configuration work, but it gets the
job done without implicit semantics... clogging the publication URI
space is a serious decision, and if we make it now, we make it for some
time to come. i'd like to rethink both context prefix and proxy url
handling for the next major lenya release anyway - that's why i'd prefer
a slightly awkward solution without subtle implications over a pragmatic
one that leaves us with cruft in the future...

lenya is a multi-publication cms, hence it is quite natural that it
should have global resources.
a self-contained URI space for publications is a good argument, but you
can easily achieve that in your publication sitemap - i.e. you add
boilerplate code when you need something special, which is ok (adding
boilerplate code for standard scenarios is not imho).

regards,

jörn

--
jörn nettingsmeier

home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/
http://spunk.dnsalias.org
phone://+49/201/491621

Kurt is up in Heaven now.

Re: [RFO] [1.4] Global proxy URL vs. reserved URL space

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
> Thorsten Scherler schrieb:
>> On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 11:51 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>>> Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
>
> [...]
>
>>> A major problem with the "global proxy" approach are requests to
>>> publication-based module URLs. If they need authorization, the
>>> requests hit the login screen. This occurs for instance with the
>>> TinyMCE JavaScript requests like
>>>
>>> http://lenya.example.com/default/modules/tinymce/javascript/tiny_config.js
>>>
>>> Making these URLs accessible to the world is certainly out of the
>>> question. IMO all module URLs should be protected.
>>>

>>> Any ideas how to solve this issue without SSO?
>> Relative rewrite like you once suggested.
>>
>> Meaning all default/modules needs to be rewritten into
>> ../default/modules
>>
>> OR
>>
>> Doing it with mod_rewrite on the server.
>>
>> RewriteRule      ^/default/modules/(.*)
>> http://10.240.192.30:8088/lenya/default/modules/$1 [P,L]
>
> To make the authoring environment of a publication accessible at
> the root path of a server, is it correct that I need four rewrite rules?
>
> ^/lenya/(.*) http://127.0.0.1:8888/lenya/$1 [P,L]
> ^/modules/(.*) http://127.0.0.1:8888/modules/$1 [P,L]
> ^/default/modules/(.*) http://127.0.0.1:8888/default/modules/$1 [P,L]
> ^/(.*) http://127.0.0.1:8888/default/authoring/$1 [P,L]
>
> At least that seems to work in my setup.

Unfortunately it doesn't - the sitetree XML can't be loaded.

-- Andreas

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler schrieb:
> On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 11:51 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:

[...]

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.