Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@zeigermann.de> on 2004/07/09 22:58:42 UTC

Slide 2.1 and Release Management

Folks!

I want to bring up two (at least for me) important issues. One is the
Slide 2.1 release and one is the future release management for Slide.

Slide 2.1 Release
-----------------

(1) What's in the pipeline?

First I'd like to know what you people have in the pipeline to include
in the Slide 2.1 release? Speaking for myself I would want to
- finish the JCA connector and
- do some more profiling and performance enhancements

(2) Shall we release M2 or go directly for a beta?

I would like to go directly to a beta skipping the scheduled M2 release.
The main reason for this will be explained below.

To clarify: I understand a beta includes a feature freeze, i.e. no new
features will be added after a beta.

Release Management
------------------

I have been the release manager for the current 2.0 release and would
volunteer to take this role for the 2.1 release - provided we can get
the release cycle (beta -> release candicate -> final) finshed by end of
September or only a little later. Judging from experience this will be
possible only if we release a beta in early August - if at all. This is
the reason I would vote for skipping the M2 release.

The solution I would favour, though, would be to pass the role to
someone else *now*. This would make sense as I for sure will not be
available for it in a 2.2 or 3.0 (whatever will come) release. If
someone took over now I could still assist and introduce where I can.

Comments?

Oliver

Re: Slide 2.1 and Release Management

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
Certainly. There might be something missing, but this is my first shot:

- Keep CVS up to date (tagging on releases, maybe create a branch for a
release cycle, etc.)
- Keeping contact with users, contributors and committers and
communicates with Apache release people
- Seeing to general documentation being up to date
- Running tests or at least see to them buing run (if possible without
failure)
- Preparing the release (have votes, write or prepare release notes)
- Finally: Have a look at
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-slide/BuildSignUploadDeploy

How long will it take you? Hard to say, apart from particiapting in the
project which really is a must for a release manager the last milestone
release took me an afternoon of work. However, a full release cycle with
beta(s), rc(s) and a final release will *definitely* take more time.

The 2.0 release certainly can not be used to estimate anything as
tremendous amounts of work went to cleaning up everything and creating
distribution procedures.

Cheers,
Oliver

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@zeigermann.de>.

Posted by Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>.
Oliver Zeigermann wrote:

> Folks!
>
> I want to bring up two (at least for me) important issues. One is the
> Slide 2.1 release and one is the future release management for Slide.
>

> Slide 2.1 Release
> -----------------
>
> (1) What's in the pipeline?
>
> First I'd like to know what you people have in the pipeline to include
> in the Slide 2.1 release? Speaking for myself I would want to
> - finish the JCA connector and
> - do some more profiling and performance enhancements

Things on my agenda are:
 - stabalize DASL RDBMS expression factory
 - DACL enhancements (see mail from my collegue Johan Stuyts)

> (2) Shall we release M2 or go directly for a beta?
>
> I would like to go directly to a beta skipping the scheduled M2
> release. The main reason for this will be explained below.
>
> To clarify: I understand a beta includes a feature freeze, i.e. no new
> features will be added after a beta.

I don't have a strong opinion either way but your arguments below are
convincing. +1 for doing a beta release early August.

> Release Management
> ------------------
>
> I have been the release manager for the current 2.0 release and would
> volunteer to take this role for the 2.1 release - provided we can get
> the release cycle (beta -> release candicate -> final) finshed by end
> of September or only a little later.

Thanks Oliver, you have been doing an awesome job IMO. Pity you're not
staying :-(

> Judging from experience this will be possible only if we release a
> beta in early August - if at all. This is the reason I would vote for
> skipping the M2 release.

Agreed.

Posted by Guido Casper <gc...@s-und-n.de>.
Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
> Release Management
> ------------------
>
> I have been the release manager for the current 2.0 release and would
> volunteer to take this role for the 2.1 release - provided we can get
> the release cycle (beta -> release candicate -> final) finshed by end of
> September or only a little later. Judging from experience this will be
> possible only if we release a beta in early August - if at all. This is
> the reason I would vote for skipping the M2 release.
>
> The solution I would favour, though, would be to pass the role to
> someone else *now*. This would make sense as I for sure will not be
> available for it in a 2.2 or 3.0 (whatever will come) release. If
> someone took over now I could still assist and introduce where I can.

What about your collegue Daniel Florey?
If I would be a committer I would nominate him.

Guido