Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Reinhard Brandstädter <r....@gmx.at> on 2003/10/16 13:40:09 UTC

when does InvokeAndWait() return?

Hi!

I've tried to use the invokeAndWait() method of the RunnableQueue to
replace the invokeLater() call. I only expected the SVG canvas to be
updated after each call before I append another element to the doc.
But the invokeAndWait() never returns, neither any exceptions are thrown!
----------
try {
   System.out.print("adding element to the runnable queue..");
   jSVGCanvas.getUpdateManager().getUpdateRunnableQueue().
     invokeAndWait(new Runnable() {
       public void run() {
         doc.getRootElement().appendChild(gelem);
       }
     });
   System.out.println("..done");
}
catch (DOMException ex) {}
catch (InterruptedException ex) {}

----------

Under which circumstances can you use invokeAndWait then?
Reinhard

--
Reinhard Brandstaedter   r.brandstaedter@gmx.at  GPG: 0x033B81DB
-    Student of Computer Science - J.K. University of Linz     -

Re: when does InvokeAndWait() return?

Posted by Reinhard Brandstädter <r....@gmx.at>.
Thomas DeWeese wrote:

>    You can use invokeAndWait from any thread other than the
> Swing thread.

I see, you better have to know that :-)

Reinhard

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Reinhard Brandstädter wrote:

> I've tried to use the invokeAndWait() method of the
> RunnableQueue to replace the invokeLater() call. I only
> expected the SVG canvas to be updated after each call before
> I append another element to the doc. But the invokeAndWait()
> never returns, neither any exceptions are thrown!

   You are probably calling it from the Swing thread.
This is likely to cause a deadlock as in some cases it
needs to get information from the Swing component which
can only be done in the Swing thread (which you have
locked up!).