Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jens Seidel <je...@users.sourceforge.net> on 2008/05/28 14:20:16 UTC

Unrelated directory touched in 1.5.x branch after merge

Hi,

I analysed recent changes in 1.5.x and found:

$ LANG=C svn diff -r 31489:31490 subversion/bindings/swig

Property changes on: subversion/bindings/swig
Modified: svn:mergeinfo
   Merged /trunk/subversion/bindings/swig:r31489

I merged a few PO file updates using
svn merge -r 31488:31489 http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk
in r31490 with svn compiled from this branch (May 26 2008, revision
number is no longer contained in the --version output).

I never touched subversion/bindings/swig. Where does this come from?
A bug?

Jens

Re: Unrelated directory touched in 1.5.x branch after merge

Posted by Paul Burba <pt...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Jens Seidel <je...@users.sf.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I analysed recent changes in 1.5.x and found:
>
> $ LANG=C svn diff -r 31489:31490 subversion/bindings/swig
>
> Property changes on: subversion/bindings/swig
> Modified: svn:mergeinfo
>   Merged /trunk/subversion/bindings/swig:r31489
>
> I merged a few PO file updates using
> svn merge -r 31488:31489 http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk
> in r31490 with svn compiled from this branch (May 26 2008, revision
> number is no longer contained in the --version output).
>
> I never touched subversion/bindings/swig. Where does this come from?
> A bug?
>
> Jens

Hi Jens,

It's not a bug*.  1.5.x/subversion/bindings/swig had explicit
mergeinfo prior to your merge to 1.5.x.  Subtrees of a merge target
which have explicit mergeinfo always get their mergeinfo updated, even
if the merge doesn't affect them directly.

*Now saying it isn't a bug doesn't mean there isn't debate about it --
see http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=dev&msgNo=136570
for some background.  That thread is specifically about no-op merges
changing mergeinfo on the merge target, but the basic argument holds
too for subtrees.

Paul