Posted to user@ambari.apache.org by 李兆罚 <li...@163.com> on 2018/01/23 06:55:29 UTC

Can Ambari be used to manage an existing vanilla apache hadoop cluster?

    Hi !

   We have an existing hadoop cluster, which consists of vanilla apache hadoop 2.7.3(not hdp) and apache hive 1.2.1(not hdp). It has been running for about 2 years in production. It has lots of important data.

   We want to use Ambari.  Since the version of hadoop in hdp 2.6.3 is  hadoop 2.7.3 and the version of hive is hive 1.2.1, we think we might manage the cluster with Ambari. Here is what we plan to do:

    1. Install ambari 2.6.0.0
    2. Install hadoop、hive(hdp2.6.3) with Ambari
    3. Replace the data(include metadata and block data) of hdp HDFS with our existing HDFS data
    4. Replace the metadata of hdp hive with our existed hive metadata

    5. Use Ambari to manage the whole cluster

    Does this approach make sense? Does anyone have tried this before? What are the risks?

    Thanks in advance!

--

lizhaohua25@163.com

Re:Re: Can Ambari be used to manage an existing vanilla apache hadoop cluster?

Posted by 李兆罚 <li...@163.com>.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!   but i don't know exactly about what's the mean of  " the cluster is working via version control system"  ? can you please tell me more or some links?

Thanks in advance!

--

lizhaohua25@163.com

At 2018-01-23 15:05:41, "Vivek Singh Raghuwanshi" <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

We have gone through the POC to upgrade vanilla hadoop cluster to managed via HDP but not yet succeed in this, the biggest challenge is in Ambari the cluster is working via version control system.

REgards

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 1:00 AM, aman poonia <am...@gmail.com> wrote:

There is no easy approach. But maybe you can try
1. changing the conf in ambari to suit yourself.
2. change data.dir of hdfs to point to what you have currently.
3. install ambari-agent and servers
4. stop service on existing cluster on a master host then start services on that host through ambari
5. repeat above for all hosts.

Hope this helps and solve your case

--
With Regards,
Aman Poonia

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 12:25 PM, 李兆罚 <li...@163.com> wrote:

[...]

ViVek Raghuwanshi
Mobile +1-847-848-7388
Mobile +1-707-847-8481
Skype - vivek_raghuwanshi
IRC vivekraghuwanshi
http://vivekraghuwanshi.wordpress.com/
http://in.linkedin.com/in/vivekraghuwanshi

Re: Can Ambari be used to manage an existing vanilla apache hadoop cluster?

Posted by Vivek Singh Raghuwanshi <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by 李兆罚 <li...@163.com>.

--