Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2003/01/21 22:53:26 UTC

pumpkin for mod_perl 1.0?

Once in a while we get mod_perl 1.0 patches posted from the kind folks. I'm
trying to cope with 2.0 and I'm not very familiar with 1.0 guts, so I commit
only things that I know about. Doug is too busy at work, so he is not here to
do that. Therefore we need someone to take care of those infrequent patches.
e.g. the recent one from John about the Sticky pnotes in registry.

Anybody?

Re: pumpkin for mod_perl 1.0?

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Stas Bekman wrote:
> Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> [...]
>
>>> Doug will still handle the release management. What we need help
>>> with, is
>>> maintaining the STATUS file and verifying and following up on
>>> submitted patches so not to discourage contributions. (again talking
>>> mod_perl 1.0 here).
>>

>> Isn't Geoffery taking care of this already ?
>

> When he is not too busy I suppose.

:)

>> Otherwise, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot... 1.0 patches are quite
>> infrequent anyways.
>

> The more folks can take care of these the merrier. Though it'd be nice
> to have someone to pick up those cakes that fall between the chairs. Or
> avoid this from happening in first place.

I agree.  however, an official pumpkin is probably a good idea - to have
somebody in charge of piping up and uniting dev@ for a release candidate, at
the very least, would be a benefit to the 1.0 tree.  I'd be happy to be the
pumpkin or let philippe do it, but I think at the moment philippe might be
in a better position time wise to follow up on patches, etc than I would.

--Geoff

Re: pumpkin for mod_perl 1.0?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 11:39, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>>[...]
>>>

>>>Isn't Geoffery taking care of this already ?
>>
>>When he is not too busy I suppose.
>

> Well, seems almost everybody is busy, isn't it ;)

Not really, I've plenty of time on my hands, want me to come and clean your
place and cook for you ;)

>>>Otherwise, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot... 1.0 patches are quite
>>>infrequent anyways.
>>
>>The more folks can take care of these the merrier. Though it'd be nice to have
>>someone to pick up those cakes that fall between the chairs. Or avoid this
>>from happening in first place.
>

> Absolutely true. In my experience, using an issue tracking system, like
> bugzilla or RT usually helps a lot. At least to keep track of open
> issues and reporters...

I believe that the reason for that is that there are very few bugs/patches
posted and even then those mostly were taken care of pretty immediately in the
days when mod_perl 1.0 was young and growing fast.

I doubt that the issue nowadays is about issues tracking, but rather not
having someone wearing that hat, that keeps them focused on mod_perl 1.0 and
not letting them get distructed by real work, spouses and other evils. ;)

> How come I can't find mod_perl listed on nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/ ?

Feel free to add it. But I think having a place at rt.perl.org is a better
idea, since it looks like RT is cooler ;)

Re: pumpkin for mod_perl 1.0?

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@cpan.org>.

Re: pumpkin for mod_perl 1.0?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
[...]

Re: pumpkin for mod_perl 1.0?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Randy Kobes wrote:

> Just so as to not give the impression that this would be a
> lonelier job than the Maytag repairman ...:) There's a few
> (small) things for Win32 that I've gathered over the last little
> while - a couple bugs in the build process, and some things to
> get rid of some warnings - that could merit consideration ...
> When this issue is decided, I'll bundle them up and resend them.

Please don't let this thread delay you from sending these in now. No matter
what the outcome is these will be taken care of.

Re: pumpkin for mod_perl 1.0?

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On 22 Jan 2003, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:

[ .. ]

--
best regards,
randy

Re: pumpkin for mod_perl 1.0?

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@cpan.org>.
On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 09:08, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
> > Once in a while we get mod_perl 1.0 patches posted from the kind folks.
> > I'm trying to cope with 2.0 and I'm not very familiar with 1.0 guts, so
> > I commit only things that I know about. Doug is too busy at work, so he
> > is not here to do that. Therefore we need someone to take care of those
> > infrequent patches. e.g. the recent one from John about the Sticky
> > pnotes in registry.
>
> To clarify my original request:
>
> Doug will still handle the release management. What we need help with, is
> maintaining the STATUS file and verifying and following up on submitted
> patches so not to discourage contributions. (again talking mod_perl 1.0 here).

Isn't Geoffery taking care of this already ?

Otherwise, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot... 1.0 patches are quite
infrequent anyways.

Philippe M. Chiasson /gozer\@(cpan|ectoplasm)\.org/ 88C3A5A5
(122FF51B/C634E37B)
http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/    F9BF E0C2 480E 7680 1AE5 3631 CB32 A107
88C3 A5A5
Q: It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so
ingenious.
perl
-e'$$=\${gozer};{$_=unpack(P7,pack(L,$$));/^JAm_pH\n$/&&print||$$++&&redo}'

Re: pumpkin for mod_perl 1.0?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.