Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> on 2005/02/15 08:58:11 UTC

JK Removing local_worker and local_worker_only directives

Hi,

I would like to deprecate the local_worker and local_worker_only
directives.

The reason is that we have now shared memory, and thus more powerful
ways to accomplish it's use.

Now, we two new directives 'redirect' and 'domain' that are more
powerful then exiting ones.

Here is how it works:

1. If there is a session the request is routed to the worker.
2. If there is no session and the worker is disabled, meaning not
    accepting new connections then the request is redirected to
    the 'redirect' router if present or 'domain' if not.
3. If there is a session and the worker is in error state and
    the 'sticky_session_force' is not set then the 'redirect'
    and 'domain' are checked.
4. If there is a session and the worker is in error state and
    the 'sticky_session_force' is set the 500 is returned.

Here is the simple state table:
('x' means don't care, '-' means not set)
| worker | session | route | domain | force | err | dis | result |
| w1     | w1      |   x   |   x    | x     | 0   |  x  | w1     |
| w1     | w1      |   x   |   x    | 1     | 1   |  x  | 500    |
| w1     | w1      |   w2  |   x    | 0     | 1   |  x  | w2     |
| w1     | w1      |   -   |   grp  | 0     | 1   |  x  | grp    |
| w1     | -       |   -   |   -    | x     | 0   |  0  | any    |
| w1     | -       |   -   |   grp  | x     | 0   |  0  | grp    |
| w1     | -       |   -   |   -    | x     | 0   |  1  | !w1    |

So, basically the local_worker_only will become 'sticky_session_force',
that is more descriptive meaning of the actual usage.

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: JK Removing local_worker and local_worker_only directives

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.
Hello Mladen,

no, the redirect domain feature don't work for me.

Here my configuration:

worker.list=lb,status

worker.node1.port=9012
worker.node1.host=localhost
worker.node1.type=ajp13
worker.node1.disabled=true
worker.node1.domain=B

worker.node2.port=9022
worker.node2.host=localhost
worker.node2.type=ajp13
worker.node2.disabled=false
worker.node2.domain=A
worker.node2.redirect=B

worker.node3.port=9032
worker.node3.host=localhost
worker.node3.type=ajp13
worker.node3.disabled=false
worker.node3.domain=A
worker.node3.redirect=B

worker.lb.balance_workers=node1,node2,node3
worker.lb.type=lb

worker.status.type=status

Both described szenarios (last email) don't work with the domain
redirect config.

Peter

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Peter Rossbach wrote:
> Hello Mladen,
>
> Great, now my cluster hot standby works as aspected. Thanks for your
> quick help!

Well, AFAICT you are commiter too, so, feel free to commit any changes
that will fit better ;).

> How can I force a autoreloading with update the workers.properties,
> without gracefull restart the apache?

Can not. Only JkMountFile can be reloaded at runtime.
For such a feature we will need AJP14 and something
completely different then mod_jk.
If you wish to add new worker at runtime, you will either
have to predict that, and add disabled worker in config
or restart the apache.

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.
Hello Mladen,

Great, now my cluster hot standby works as aspected. Thanks for your
quick help!
Current support of redirect is enough for me.

<http://dict.leo.org/se?lp=ende&p=/Mn4k.&search=enough>The domain
redirect use case to startup very save a next software generation
is working with the existing domain concept.

You have two tomcat cluster domains.
Two Apaches and three tomcat instances at every cluster domain.

worker.nodeA01.domain=A0
worker.nodeA02.domain=A0
worker.nodeA03.domain=A0
worker.nodeB01.domain=B0
worker.nodeB02.domain=B0
worker.nodeB03.domain=B0
worker.list=lb,status
worker.lb.balance_workers=nodeA01,nodeA02,nodeA03,nodeB01,nodeB02,nodeB03
worker.lb.type=lb
worker.status.type=status

Now you want start a new software generation under high load

Start the new Instance A1x, B1x
change the workers.properties at apache A and B
gracefull restart the apaches.

worker.nodeA01.domain=A0
worker.nodeA01.disabled=True
worker.nodeA02.domain=A0
worker.nodeA02.disabled=True
worker.nodeA03.domain=A0
worker.nodeA03.disabled=True
worker.nodeB01.domain=B0
worker.nodeB01.disabled=True
worker.nodeB02.domain=B0
worker.nodeB02.disabled=True
worker.nodeB03.domain=B0
worker.nodeB03.disabled=True
worker.nodeA11.domain=A1
worker.nodeA12.domain=A1
worker.nodeA13.domain=A1
worker.nodeB11.domain=B1
worker.nodeB12.domain=B1
worker.nodeB13.domain=B1
worker.list=lb,status
worker.lb.balance_workers=nodeA11,nodeA12,nodeA13,nodeB11,nodeB12,nodeB13,nodeA01,nodeA02,nodeA03,nodeB01,nodeB02,nodeB03
worker.lb.type=lb
worker.status.type=status

Old Session A0x, B0x working very well for old existing session and
replicated backup.
All new sessions goes to A1x,B1x nodes
After a some times, the admin can drop the old nodes (A0x, B0x) with
zero sessions active and than remove the
A0x and B0x workers.

How can I force a autoreloading with update the workers.properties,
without gracefull restart the apache?

Thanks very much,
Peter

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.
Morning Mladen,

I have build with newest patch and the redirect working well. Thanks :-)
But the same szenario with domains don't work

workers.properties:
================
worker.list=lb,status

worker.node1.port=9012
worker.node1.host=localhost
worker.node1.type=ajp13
worker.node1.disabled=true
worker.node1.domain=A
#worker.node1.redirect=node2

worker.node2.port=9022
worker.node2.host=localhost
worker.node2.type=ajp13
worker.node2.disabled=false
worker.node2.domain=A
#worker.node2.redirect=node1

worker.node3.port=9032
worker.node3.host=localhost
worker.node3.type=ajp13
worker.node3.disabled=false
worker.node3.domain=A

worker.lb.balance_workers=node1,node2,node3
worker.lb.type=lb

worker.status.type=status

szenarios:
node1 is disabled
node2 is active
node3 is active
start only node1
start firefox
Request failed with Internal Error

szenario 2
 node1 is disabled
node2 is active
start node1, node2
request successfull
stop node2
request failed
Start a new Browser (mozilla) request failed again with Internat Error

Peter

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.
Well,

but at my test following is not the case:

 >>Other thing is if Node2 breaks, then Node1 will
 >>take old and new requests.

It works only for old requests, but new request get an Internal Server
Error!

Test with Apache 2.053, Windows XP, mod_jk CVS Head, Tomcat 5.5.8, JDK 1.5.0

Peter

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.
Hello Mladen,

hmm, with your example I got a Internal Server Error after I disable or
drop active node2 and start a new session request! :-(
All request with active node2 session work properly when node2 shutdown!
What I want is that after a failure,
the node1 got all requests. This szenario work very well with old
local_worker mode.

Here my test confguration:

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.
Hello Mladen,

after a very long thinking I have missing a hot Standby feature, when we
remove local_work flag.

Example
two   tomcat instance with local_worker=true and domain=A
one   tomcat instance with local_worker=false and domain=B

New session only generate to domain A  tomcat instance
After complete disable all domain A instance, the new sessions fork to
tomcat  instances at domain B ( hot standby)
After complete domain A instances failure all requests forward to domain
B instances.

Posted by TECHNICAL DIRECTOR <qu...@satalogue.net>.
PLEASE STOP SENDING US YOUR E-MAILS....Satalogue
--- Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1, I was unconfortable to explain these.
>
> Simpler the better
>

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:58:11 +0100, Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to deprecate the local_worker and local_worker_only
> > directives.
> >
> > The reason is that we have now shared memory, and thus more powerful
> > ways to accomplish it's use.
> >
> > Now, we two new directives 'redirect' and 'domain' that are more
> > powerful then exiting ones.
> >
> > Here is how it works:
> >
> > 1. If there is a session the request is routed to the worker.
> > 2. If there is no session and the worker is disabled, meaning not
> >     accepting new connections then the request is redirected to
> >     the 'redirect' router if present or 'domain' if not.
> > 3. If there is a session and the worker is in error state and
> >     the 'sticky_session_force' is not set then the 'redirect'
> >     and 'domain' are checked.
> > 4. If there is a session and the worker is in error state and
> >     the 'sticky_session_force' is set the 500 is returned.
> >
> > Here is the simple state table:
> > ('x' means don't care, '-' means not set)
> >   ----------------------------------------------------------------
> > | worker | session | route | domain | force | err | dis | result |
> >   ----------------------------------------------------------------
> > | w1     | w1      |   x   |   x    | x     | 0   |  x  | w1     |
> >   ----------------------------------------------------------------
> > | w1     | w1      |   x   |   x    | 1     | 1   |  x  | 500    |
> >   ----------------------------------------------------------------
> > | w1     | w1      |   w2  |   x    | 0     | 1   |  x  | w2     |
> >   ----------------------------------------------------------------
> > | w1     | w1      |   -   |   grp  | 0     | 1   |  x  | grp    |
> >   ----------------------------------------------------------------
> > | w1     | -       |   -   |   -    | x     | 0   |  0  | any    |
> >   ----------------------------------------------------------------
> > | w1     | -       |   -   |   grp  | x     | 0   |  0  | grp    |
> >   ----------------------------------------------------------------
> > | w1     | -       |   -   |   -    | x     | 0   |  1  | !w1    |
> >   ----------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > So, basically the local_worker_only will become
> 'sticky_session_force',
> > that is more descriptive meaning of the actual usage.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mladen.

=====
FROM SATALOGUE TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT.......WE HAVE READ YOUR E-MAIL...

Please call our Duty Engineer on 01332 811564 - for a proper 'one to one' answer as further information and / or clarification is required from you in order to answer your question properly .
               He is available from 10am until 5pm Monday to Friday inclusive.

TO  RETURN TO  SATALOGUE WEBSITE: Click on to link below.....

                  http://www.satalogue.com/about.htm

Re: JK Removing local_worker and local_worker_only directives

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.