Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Robert Schneider <r....@weingartner.com> on 2005/11/07 10:59:32 UTC

Build question

What do you do when a build process fetches the sources of several
repositories? This is not an atomic operation, right? Would you use
locks? Can this be managed properly with svnserve somehow?

Greetings,
Robert

Re: Build question

Posted by Dimitri Papadopoulos-Orfanos <pa...@shfj.cea.fr>.
Hi,

> What do you do when a build process fetches the sources of several
> repositories? This is not an atomic operation, right?

Could you give more details on this use case? I feel that if you have
different repositories, then you don't need atomic operations because
different repositories are loosely related. If you need different
projects to be closely synschronized, then maybe they should live in the
same repository.

As for a direct answer to your question about cross-repository locks and
atomic operations, I'm afraid I have no clue.

Dimitri Papadopoulos

Re: Build question

Posted by Paul Koning <pk...@equallogic.com>.

 Robert> What do you do when a build process fetches the sources of
 Robert> several repositories? This is not an atomic operation, right?

Correct.

 Robert> Would you use locks? Can this be managed properly with
 Robert> svnserve somehow?

No.  If you have several things that contribute to one build, and you
want to get the benefits of atomicity that SVN gives you, you have to
design things so they go into a single repository.

You don't need to check it out all at once -- you can grab the head
version number, then do several checkouts of several pieces with -r
and the version number you found.  But the pieces have to be all in
one repository.

    paul