Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ian Zimmerman <it...@buug.org> on 2015/10/17 05:36:32 UTC

Re: Checking if sa-learn is actually learning

On 2015-10-16 20:59 -0500, Ryan Coleman wrote:

> sa-learn commands:
> [scans domains for specified folders and scans them]
> > /usr/bin/find /var/mail/vhosts/ -name '*.Spam.New*' -type d -exec /usr/bin/sa-learn --no-sync --spam --progress {}* \;
> > /usr/bin/find /var/mail/vhosts/ -name '*.Spam.Suspected*' -type d -exec /usr/bin/sa-learn --no-sync --spam --progress {}* \;
>
> I swear I had issues in the past without having —no-sync, but is that causing it?

If you do the routine learning with --no-sync, you must have one run with
--sync as well, maybe in a cron job.  Or just run with --sync once at
the end of this same script.  That much is straightforward, and should
be clear from the man/pod pages.

The part that caused me some trouble, and is somewhat underdocumented
IMO, is the interaction of --sync with --force-expire.  I'm afraid I
can't help you with that because I took the extreme step of disabling
expiration, and instead re-creating a fresh database monthly from the
recent corpus which I keep around.