Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Marko Asplund <ma...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/07 14:05:05 UTC

Messaging protocol selection

Hi,

I'm planning on deploying ActiveMQ for delivering event notifications
across different applications and web sites.
The events will be delivered to multiple recipients using publish-subscribe
pattern.
The number of clients is expected to be about 10-20 and they will be
connecting over the Internet.
Message will contain mostly textual data e.g. XML and the typical message
size is estimated to be ~ 50 - 100 bytes.
Message volumes are expected to be moderate.
The clients will be implemented using different technologies, so cross
language interoperability will be important.
In particular, both Java and PHP should be well supported.
XA transactions will not be required, but durable subscriptions and message
expiry are features that may be needed.

Which messaging protocols would be good choices in this case?
Can different clients be allowed to use different protocols to communicate
through the same topic?

Is Apollo currently mature enough to be considered as an alternative to
ActiveMQ?

thanks,

marko

Re: Messaging protocol selection

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
Using the default protocol (Openwire) for Java.
Use STOMP for your PHP needs.

Apollo has had some good community use. It's not a feature-complete drop-in
replacement for ActiveMQ 5.x yet, but should be suitable for the needs you
describe above.

Apollo also supports Openwire and STOMP protocols.

--
*Christian Posta*
http://www.christianposta.com/blog

Re: Messaging protocol selection

Posted by Marko Asplund <ma...@gmail.com>.
Christian Posta wrote:

> Using the default protocol (Openwire) for Java.
> Use STOMP for your PHP needs.
>
> Apollo has had some good community use. It's not a feature-complete
drop-in
> replacement for ActiveMQ 5.x yet, but should be suitable for the needs you
> describe above.
>
> Apollo also supports Openwire and STOMP protocols.

thanks.

Would AMQP be a valid option in this scenario?
It's enabled by default in ActiveMQ 5.8 and cross language support exists
(incl. Java, PHP and others).

How do these protocols (Openwire, Stomp and AMQP) compare against each
other in terms of messaging features available?
Are there notable messaging features (e.g. XA) that are missing with some
of these protocols (either  due to current client or server implementation
shortcomings or more fundamental protocol related limitations)?

Is there a list of supported ActiveMQ features per protocol?

marko