Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by R Eliason <re...@alltel.net> on 2003/01/16 19:10:47 UTC

[users@httpd] Windows XP post 'Not a Socket Error'

Hello All.

I am new to apache, and trying to wean myself away from being a microserf.
To that end, I have installed apache 2.0.43 on my WinXP SP1 machine.

upon first installation, I got a continious error log problem (sorta
resolved with a new libhttpd.dll).  Now, apache eats 99-100% of my CPU
cycles until it is stopped.  I haven't tweaked the install much (only to
move it to port 800, then 8080, then 8000 to make sure it wasn't a prot
conflict).

I have uninstalled it (it hung during uninstall).  I removed all regestry
entries from it. I removed pc-cillian (anti virus), support.com agent (From
Sony), and a remote console tool I use.  No effects, other than to waste
about an hour finding obscure reg settings and removing them.

I have verified that there are no port conflicts, I have shut down all (and
I mean all) unnecessary network related services from Microsoft....  So...
suggestions?

I have installed 1.3.27 - works like a champ.

So... anyone out there have a soluton other than run 1.3.x?
Thanks
Randy

RE: [users@httpd] Windows XP post 'Not a Socket Error'

Posted by Jeff Cohen <ap...@gej-it.com>.
It should work just fine, try to download the 2.x version again (latest is
2.043) and reinstalling it.
It should work even better then the 1.3.x version.
And then post the exact "problem" that you're having with the error log
entries attached.

All the best,
Jeff Cohen