Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com> on 2001/10/29 05:05:13 UTC

Version Numbering

Hey all,

LET YOUR VOICES BE HEARD!!!

I think the current version numbering scheme is confusing. Originally,
Xerces-C used only:

  MAJOR.MINOR => 1.5

And so I was free to do all I wanted with subversions. It was clear
that XML-Xerces 1.5.0, 1.5.1, 1.5.2, etc all belonged to Xerces-C
1.5.

But then the Xerces-C folks started using subversion numbers:

  MAJOR.MINOR.SUBVERSION => 1.5.1

Now It's impossible to tell what version of XML-Xerces goes with what
version of Xerces-C.

I think that the only way to clear this up is for XML-Xerces to begin
using sub-subversion numbers.

I have two ideas:

* use straight monotonically increasing numbering:

  1.5.1-1, 1.5.1-2, 1.5.1-3, etc

* use dates in YYYYMMDD format

  1.5.1-20010915, 1.5.1-20011012, 1.5.1-20011121, etc

Also, I prefer that dash to separate the Xerces-C version from the
XML-Xerces version.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!

Cheers,
jas.

Re: Version Numbering

Posted by Terje Bless <li...@pobox.com>.
On Tue, 2001-10-30 at 02:14, Jason E. Stewart wrote:

> In principle I agree. The difference here is that the relationship of
> Xerces-C to XML::Xerces is not just a simple dependancy, it's a matter
> of two sister projects.

Not from where I'm sitting. From here it's just a simple dependancy. You
may also wish to consider just how much pain you're willing to inflict
on yourself in getting the version numbers to make sense. :-)

> Having a related version numbering scheme really helps.

Why?

> > BTW, am I the only one getting messages in triplicate from this list
> > nowadays?
>
> I'm not. Anyone else?

ISTR someone mention duplicates were a GNU Mailman bug?

Re: Version Numbering

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Terje Bless" <li...@pobox.com> writes:

> On Mon, 2001-10-29 at 05:05, Jason E. Stewart wrote:
>
> > And so I was free to do all I wanted with subversions. It was clear
> > that XML-Xerces 1.5.0, 1.5.1, 1.5.2, etc all belonged to Xerces-C
> > 1.5. But then the Xerces-C folks started using subversion numbers:
> >
> >   MAJOR.MINOR.SUBVERSION => 1.5.1
> >
> > Now It's impossible to tell what version of XML-Xerces goes with what
> > version of Xerces-C. [...]
> >
> > LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!
>
> I think that you're trying too hard... :-)

Could be true ;-)

> If a particular version of XML::Xerces requires a particular version
> of Xerces-C, then _document_ it. Plain and simple. No need to futz
> about with weird versioning schemes; they cause more problems and
> confusion then they are worth. Just put the necessary version of
> Xerces-C prominently in README and INSTALL and use the version
> numbers as they were meant to be used -- and as CS-101 should teach
> -- to denote major, minor, and bugfix revisions. Dependencies are a
> completely separate problem and should be treated as
> such. Shoehorning the one to serve the needs of the other can only
> lead to much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

In principle I agree. The difference here is that the relationship of
Xerces-C to XML::Xerces is not just a simple dependancy, it's a matter
of two sister projects.

I remember the days when the Tcl and Tk version numbers were
completely off from one another -- Tcl was at 7.1 and Tk was at
4.2. Nowadays when a new version is released they are released
together and the numbers are incremented so they are constantly in
sync.

Having a related version numbering scheme really helps.

XML::Xerces is inherently dependant on Xerces-C, the versions should
match.

*AND* I should document which version it is dependant on.

> BTW, am I the only one getting messages in triplicate from this list
> nowadays?

I'm not. Anyone else?

jas.

Re: Version Numbering