Posted to user@poi.apache.org by "Alexis A. Trafelati" <al...@globalmargin.com> on 2005/11/21 22:00:28 UTC

Creating Workbook: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError

Hello,
Is there any known problem with any version of the jdk1.4.2???
I'm trying to create a HSSFWorkbook from within a servlet and read it, and in several environments it works OK.

It works in an Apache Tomcat 5.5, jdk 1.5.0_04 in a Windows XP machine.
It works in an Apache Tomcat 4.0.6, jdk 1.4.2_06 in a Linux machine.

But I need to install my app in a machine with the Ensim Control Panel, with this configuration:
Tomcat 4.0.6 (a special version), jdk 1.4.2 (don't know exactly the build) in Linux.

Here is the code that triggers the java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:

   POIFSFileSystem fs = new POIFSFileSystem(new FileInputStream(fileName));
   HSSFWorkbook workbook = new HSSFWorkbook(fs);

With the Stack Trace I think I tracked down the error to this line of the source code, in the
org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook class:

   List records = RecordFactory.createRecords(stream);

I think the problem is when trying to access the class org.apache.poi.hssf.record.RecordFactory.
The Stack Trace is below these lines.
Rings any bell?

------------------------------------

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
at org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook.<init>(HSSFWorkbook.java:163)
at org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook.<init>(HSSFWorkbook.java:130)
at org.apache.jsp.import3$jsp._jspService(import3$jsp .java:187)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(Http JspBase.java:107)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:853)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWra pper.service(JspServlet.java:201)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFil e(JspServlet.java:381)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspSe rvlet.java:473)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:853)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.inv oke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:683)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doI nclude(ApplicationDispatcher.java:574)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.acc ess$100(ApplicationDispatcher.java:115)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher$Pri vilegedInclude.run(ApplicationDispatcher.java:146)

Re: Creating Workbook: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError

Posted by ac...@apache.org.
would be best if we grab security exception here and consider it to be
null if we can't read the property...

Alexis A. Trafelati wrote:
> Well, finally me and my bodies could solve this issue.
> And there is an interesting thing someone could find useful:
>
> The line I was talking about:
> RecordFactory.createRecords(stream);
>
> triggers the load of a lot of classes in a static block of code.
>
> One of those classes is
> org.apache.poi.hssf.record.AbstractEscherHolderRecord.
> That class includes static code too... this line:
>
> private static final boolean DESERIALISE =
> System.getProperty("poi.deserialize.escher") != null;
>
> Well, here was the problem located. It was a permissions issue, and we solve
> it adding
> this to the site policies:
>
> permission java.util.PropertyPermission "poi.deserialize.escher",  "read";
>
> Considering the error informed was "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError",
> it was a pretty dificult thing to solve, isn't it?
>
> Good luck!
> Alexis.

Andrew C. Oliver
SuperLink Software, Inc.

Java to Excel using POI

Re: Creating Workbook: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError

Posted by "Alexis A. Trafelati" <al...@globalmargin.com>.
OK... then there must be something with the Ensim Control Panel, I don't
know.
I know it's shipped with a particular version of Tomcat, perhaps it's that.

Anyone using this library and Ensim?

Posted by am...@stagingconnections.com.

Posted by "Alexis A. Trafelati" <al...@globalmargin.com>.
In fact, I'm using the jar supplied in the installation:
poi-2.5.1-final-20040804.jar.
It works with the other environments... but not this one.
And I'm sure I'm running under Java 1.4.2, I even check that setting up a
script with this piece of code:

   System.getProperty("java.version");

It returned 1.4.2.

I also tried to run this segment of code, in a script of my own:

    List records;

> [...]

I'm trying to create a HSSFWorkbook from within a servlet and read it, and
in several environments it works OK.

It works in an Apache Tomcat 5.5, jdk 1.5.0_04 in a Windows XP machine.
It works in an Apache Tomcat 4.0.6, jdk 1.4.2_06 in a Linux machine.

But I need to install my app in a machine with the Ensim Control Panel,
with this configuration:
Tomcat 4.0.6 (a special version), jdk 1.4.2 (don't know exactly the build)
in Linux.

Here is the code that triggers the java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:

   POIFSFileSystem fs = new POIFSFileSystem(new
FileInputStream(fileName));
   HSSFWorkbook workbook = new HSSFWorkbook(fs);

With the Stack Trace I think I tracked down the error to this line of the
source code, in the
org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook class:

   List records = RecordFactory.createRecords(stream);