Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/25 06:25:51 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Move everything to 1.6, take 2 (was: Re: I can't make a release ...)

+1

Gary

  release ...) </div><div>
building apps that run on antediluvian version. I can't see why it's
such a problem for a tool, such as Maven, to require 1.7. Who are we
accomodating by the current policy, or even the 1.6 plan?

Meanwhile, it seems to me that we don't need a complex system of
releases. There will be no new 3.0.x releases except for some sort of
exceptional event. If we simply open up everything except the 3.0.x
branch of the core to 1.6 or 1.7, then the worst that happens is, in
the event of a security issue out in a component or a plugin, someone
has to make a branch from the last 1.5-compatible release to make the
fix.

Re: Re: [DISCUSS] Move everything to 1.6, take 2 (was: Re: I can't make a release ...)

Posted by Lennart Jörelid <le...@gmail.com>.
... and when I say "CodeHaus" above, I mean "Apache".
Fair?

;)

+==============================+

+==============================+

Re: Re: [DISCUSS] Move everything to 1.6, take 2 (was: Re: I can't make a release ...)

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.
+1 for moving to at least 1.6 or even 1.7. While 1.8 would be the release
with more interesting features, I think requiring this would be too early.

Regards
Mirko
--
Sent from my mobile

Posted by Lennart Jörelid <le...@gmail.com>.
Quite true.

:)

Re: Re: [DISCUSS] Move everything to 1.6, take 2 (was: Re: I can't make a release ...)

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.