Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org> on 2013/12/25 07:35:44 UTC

[Discuss] Do we really need to publish Complete Event Messages periodically?

Hi All,

I was thinking about the complete event messages which are periodically
published to message broker while doing some integration tests:

1. Complete Topology Event - Published by Cloud Controller
2. Complete Tenant Event - Published by Stratos Manager

These messages were introduced to allow subscribers to initialize the state
of their local data structures at the server start-up. So they have a start
point to accept the event messages of a given topic.

*Problem*
As I experienced these messages are spamming the network and logs. I think
we do not need to publish these messages periodically:

*Proposal*
1. Event message publisher does not periodically publish complete event
messages.

2. Rather, once a subscriber is started it sends a complete event message
request to a new topic (requesting the complete event message):

3. When the publisher receives a request for the complete event message, it
is published.

4. Subscriber receives the complete event message

Really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Many Thanks
Imesh

Re: [Discuss] Do we really need to publish Complete Event Messages periodically?

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
+1, yes we can have this. I think this is a good option.

--
Lakmal Warusawithana
Software Architect; WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Discuss] Do we really need to publish Complete Event Messages periodically?

Posted by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>.
+1.

It will decrease the number of messages passed.

Re: [Discuss] Do we really need to publish Complete Event Messages periodically?

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Imesh,

I am sorry, but I can't understand how a periodical (/1mint) message
would congest the network. Can you please explain? Solution you have
explained has a bit overhead (additional topic, publishers, subscribers), I
wonder how worth it is.

If this is a real concern IMO we could simply make the full topology
available via a web service.

--
Best Regards,
Nirmal