Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it> on 2017/01/09 15:13:29 UTC

Infra question: One commit -> multiple issues.

Hi,

there have been various issues in JIRA regarding the launcher scripts.
Is it possible to squash all those commits into one and then mention all
JIRA issues in the commit message so that the commit is added to each
JIRA issue? Last time I did this I think Jenkins was able to add
comments to all issues involved. I would just copy the launchers from
the pre-reset-master branch to master and just mention all issues in the
commit.

Christian

Re: Infra question: One commit -> multiple issues.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
I suggest one of you creates a branch and you flatten each of your
sequential commits into that branch one at a time. The person to create the
branch should be the first commit and then proceed in order.

Or if you all agree then one of you can just create a branch with the final
end game committing with "Submitted by: .., .. and ..."

Entirely up to the three of you to agree what you want to do and what is
acceptable to you

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
If you did all the commits, then that is fine.

If you are effectively squashing the work of others, you'll probably need
to at least retain their commits with the authorship

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Well there is one flaky test on master, so we may need to either ignore the
flaky test or see about fixing it

On Wed 11 Jan 2017 at 00:10, Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it> wrote:

> Am 01/11/17 um 00:52 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
>
> > Currently always running against the master branch of integration
> tests...
>

> Good to know. So the IT failure for that job is due to the missing
>
> update to the IT (update to the core makes an existing IT fail). Thanks.

Sent from my phone

Re: Infra question: One commit -> multiple issues.

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Currently always running against the master branch of integration tests...
the Jenkins plugin with resolving matching branches is not released yet

On Tue 10 Jan 2017 at 23:42, Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it> wrote:

> Am 01/09/17 um 23:53 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
>
> > Yes. And the branch job will be deleted automatically after you delete
> the
>
> > branch (we can set an orphaned item strategy if we want to keep them
> around
>
> > for a while)
>

> Hi,
>

> can you please take a look at the maven-jenkinsfile/MNG-5958 job. Did it
>
> really run the ITs from the branch with the same name or did it run the
>
> master branch ITs? There is an IT failing I would not have expected to
>
> fail. It's the IT in question to be changed in that other thread. So if
>
> it did run the master branch ITs, the old IT will fail with MNG-5958
>
> applied to the core. Maybe it's better to always let the master branch
>
> ITs run in addition to the ITs from the branch. Does not matter if such
>
> a build takes half a day, IMHO.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
>
> Christian

Sent from my phone

Re: Infra question: One commit -> multiple issues.

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

On Mon 9 Jan 2017 at 22:44, Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it> wrote:

> Am 01/09/17 um 23:36 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
>
> > Yes, every branch that has the Jenkinsfile will automatically get its own
>
> > branch job build within 15 minutes of being pushed.
>

> > (It would be faster - i.e. 5s after the push - but until I don't want to
>
> > pester infra to upgrade Jenkins until I have got some stability in the
>
> > branch-api 2.0.x series)
>

> > There is also ever cooler when I get
>
> > https://github.com/jenkinsci/workflow-multibranch-plugin/pull/46 merged
> and
>
> > released...
>

> > The Jenkinsfile will then use *the matching integration test branch if it
>
> > exists* and fall back to master if missing... so you will be able to even
>
> > get the results of the new integration tests before merging... but
> that's a
>
> > few weeks away I suspect
>

> Very cool. So I can prepare a local branch per issue, push that, wait
>
> for Jenkins to build it and if everything went well, pick the commit
>
> into master and remove the branch afterwards?

Sent from my phone

Re: Infra question: One commit -> multiple issues.

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

On Mon 9 Jan 2017 at 22:27, Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it> wrote:

> Am 01/09/17 um 22:44 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
>
> > Can we stage this logical set of changes on the same branch before
> merging
>
> > to master (so we know we have a clean test run on the
>
> > https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-jenkinsfile/ branch build)
>

> What's this Jenkinsfile about? Does it mean whenever someone creates a
>
> branch from master with that Jenkinsfile and pushes it, Jenkins will
>
> pick up that branch and perform a build of it and run the ITs against
>
> it? That would be mega cool. Instead of cherry picking the commits
>
> sequentially into master, there better be some intermediate branch with
>
> all those commits which can then be merged into master in one go.

Sent from my phone

Re: Infra question: One commit -> multiple issues.

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

On Mon 9 Jan 2017 at 21:41, Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it> wrote:

> Am 01/09/17 um 21:03 schrieb Michael Osipov:
>
> > Am 2017-01-09 um 19:58 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
>
> >> If the commit mentions all the issues, e.g. [MNG-1235, MNG-4568] there
>
> >> should be reasonable tracking... but if you feel more confident with one
>
> >> issue per commit I see no issue with that either
>

> > Personally, yes. I have seen comments from users on issues where they
>
> > refer to a specific commit. Luckily, those were one issue per commit.
>
> > Made it pretty easy to analyze. I'd like to keep it that way.
>

> I unassigned myself from those issues. You need to coordinate with Tibor
>
> to get things committed in order. It's multiple issues but the same
>
> files to change. You'll get conflicts if both of you start committing
>
> now without coordinating the changes.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
>
> Christian

Sent from my phone

Re: Infra question: One commit -> multiple issues.

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2017-01-09 um 19:58 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
> If the commit mentions all the issues, e.g. [MNG-1235, MNG-4568] there
> should be reasonable tracking... but if you feel more confident with one
> issue per commit I see no issue with that either

Personally, yes. I have seen comments from users on issues where they
refer to a specific commit. Luckily, those were one issue per commit.
Made it pretty easy to analyze. I'd like to keep it that way.

Michael

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
If the commit mentions all the issues, e.g. [MNG-1235, MNG-4568] there
should be reasonable tracking... but if you feel more confident with one
issue per commit I see no issue with that either

On Mon 9 Jan 2017 at 18:51, Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 2017-01-09 um 16:13 schrieb Christian Schulte:
>
> > Hi,
>

> > there have been various issues in JIRA regarding the launcher scripts.
>
> > Is it possible to squash all those commits into one and then mention all
>
> > JIRA issues in the commit message so that the commit is added to each
>
> > JIRA issue? Last time I did this I think Jenkins was able to add
>
> > comments to all issues involved. I would just copy the launchers from
>
> > the pre-reset-master branch to master and just mention all issues in the
>
> > commit.
>

> What about traceability for users? They would not be able to find the
>
> distinct change for a ticket anymore. It makes it hard to trace a
>
> regression.
>

> Michael

Sent from my phone

Re: Infra question: One commit -> multiple issues.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.