Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Mark Womack <mw...@bevocal.com> on 2002/03/01 01:25:27 UTC

re: [VOTE] new committer

I am not a committer, so you can take my opinion as null if you wish.

I finally got around to looking at Chainsaw, and while it is a bit rough, I
think it would make a great addition to the logj4 project.  If the comitters
have issues with the source/design not being up to some standard, then steps
to evolve the source/design should be taken as part of accepting the code.
Most open source code evolves into something better over time as more folks
apply their talents to the cause.

If Oliver is still willing to change the license to Apache instead of GNU
lesser and commit it to this project, then I think you should do it.  Log4j
will benefit, and the Chainsaw tool will benefit from more hands willing to
work on it.  Maybe it should not live in the main log4j jar, but in some
kind of tool or "client" jar.  But this kind of visual tool will be very
cool, useful, and leading edge.  Right where log4j should be.

just my opinion,
-Mark

>Hello all,
>
>Oliver Burn, the author of chainsaw
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/logui), is willing to contribute their code
to >the log4j core. I propose to give him committer status.

>Here is my +1. We need al least another 2 positive votes from existing
committers. Regards. Ceki