Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2004/12/28 06:46:08 UTC

Jakarta's mission

I know too well the problem of over-spamming a mail list with attempts at
thought provoking emails, but I also know that time is nowadays a precious
commodity so I'm going to spam away and see if anyone's not drooling out
of their ears by the end of all these mails.

Will keep this one short. I've long maintained that Jakarta has an
identity crisis (which someone pointed out is not news and has been true
for many years). I've realised by looking over the website and thoughts on
the future that this is not quite true. Jakarta has many identities trying
to fit into the one space.

We have three that I recognise, and you can see these throughout the site.

1) Umbrella of server-side Java applications, specifically web
containers/frameworks.
2) Umbrella of re-useable Java components.
3) Umbrella of Java@Apache. More a SourceForge foundry than an ASF
umbrella.

Taglibs is a wonderful subproject that even merges 1+2 to make things even
more of a pain, though it's not as chaotic (in the good as well as bad
sense of the word) as Coommons.

You can see examples of 3) in the various 'Related' links on the site in
which we attempt to maintain links to the parts of our community that have
become TLPs. It's a mess.

I'll stop before I ramble on too much. We're the information architecture
equivalent of an Escher drawing and it's very thought provoking.

Hen