Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Mills, Larry" <la...@navteq.com> on 2011/07/05 18:07:31 UTC

[users@httpd] Question on load balancing forward proxy servers

Hello all,

I've been able to successfully configure Apache as a load-balancer to content on Tomcat-based "back-end" servers and also to act as a forward web proxy and forward proxy-chain, but I'm wondering if it is possible to have Apache load-balance requests while acting as a forward proxy?

The desired configuration is to have a group of http proxy servers (i.e. forward proxies), and then to have Apache act as a "front-end" load balancer / proxy-chain to these servers for client requests.

So far, my experiments at getting this working have not been successful.  I've tried using mod_proxy / mod_proxy_balancer in a configuration similar to this, which will work fine for a reverse-proxy situation:

# Load balancer target "back-end" servers, which are forward proxies
<Proxy balancer://proxies>
BalancerMember http://forward_proxy1:9090 loadfactor=1
BalancerMember http://forward_proxy2:9090 loadfactor=1
ProxySet lbmethod=byrequests
</Proxy>

# Set forward proxy mode
ProxyRequests On

# Send chained proxy requests to the balancer
ProxyRemote * balancer://proxies

So, the question is: is this not a supported capability for Apache, or is my configuration just way off?

Any help would be appreciated!

Larry

The information contained in this communication may be CONFIDENTIAL and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original message and any copy of it from your computer or paper files.