Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/22 13:46:09 UTC

Multi-lingual codebase

Hello,

NetBeans has a Scala support plugin which is, unsurprisingly, written in Scala.

It would be quite awesome if our language plugins would be written in
the specific language (and basically self-hosted in a way).

This might give specific developers a better way to contribute, since
everything is in their native language. They don't have to learn Java
*and* the NetBeans APIs.

From what we have so far, only Javascript would probably be easy to support.

Maybe Groovy too?

There is no PHP interpreter/compiler afaik that runs on top of the JVM
we could use.

I believe the Ruby plugins might already be written in JRuby (I didn't
check). Python has jpython.

Of course, this complicates codebase homogeneity and makes API
refactorings and such much more complicated.

Thoughts?

--emi

http://coolbeans.xyz/ - CoolBeans: An IDE for Java, JavaEE, PHP and more!