Posted to dev@systemml.apache.org by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/25 00:16:52 UTC

Location for release validation checklist?

Hi,

The release candidate validation checklist needs to be easy to modify by
SystemML committers/contributors. As a result, it should probably take a
'Wiki' form. This raises the question of where it should go? Seems like the
options are:

1) md file in the project itself (not a wiki, not easy to modify)
2) GitHub project wiki
3) Apache Confluence

I started off by creating an release validation checklist md file in the
project at docs/. The formatting of this looks good but this is too
difficult to modify. Here's a temporary example:
http://deroneriksson.github.io/incubator-systemml/release-process.html#release-candidate-checklist

So, next I took the above content and uploaded it as a personal Gist page.
The formatting doesn't look that great, and this is how it would probably
look on the SystemML GitHub wiki if it's publicly open (I don't have access
to the GitHub project settings to do this):
https://gist.github.com/deroneriksson/3c75abd5bfc629a3d4c15da420f86e3f

It occurred to me that most Apache projects have Confluence Wikis (for
example, see https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SPARK/Wiki+Homepage).
Perhaps Apache Confluence would be the best location? However, I don't
believe we have a Confluence Wiki yet.

Luciano, would we post a JIRA to infra to get a Confluence Wiki for the
project?

I think I would favor #3, but I don't want it to prolong the release
process. Anyone have any opinions or advice? We could even handle this on
the mailing list for now.

Thanks,
Deron

Re: Location for release validation checklist?

Posted by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>.
Hi Luciano,

A very basic checklist has been created at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYSTEMML-708

Thanks,
Deron

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by du...@gmail.com.
Another possibility would be to create a new JIRA issue for each release (candidate) and track what had been tested there. If we do that, then we could include just the generic instructions in a markdown file in our repo.

--

Mike Dusenberry
GitHub: github.com/dusenberrymw

Sent from my iPhone.