Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Gerhard Petracek <gp...@apache.org> on 2013/10/17 22:47:08 UTC

[DISCUSS] trinidad.next

hi @ all,

we haven't seen a trinidad release for almost >20 months<.
it's known that other projects are based on trinidad and therefore it's
obvious that they have to use snapshot versions.

imo:
since there are commits on a regular basis, there should be also releases
on a regular basis.

regards,
gerhard

Re: [DISCUSS] trinidad.next

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
Gerhard, what he's saying is that we have several cases that require a base implementation.  Mostly they are for cases that are outside of the JSF lifecycle.  It MAY be possible to retrofit these cases with the ExternalContextFactory and the wrapper, but this work hasn't been done yet.

--
Scott O'Bryan

On October 30, 2013 at 5:13:41 PM, Gerhard Petracek (gerhard.petracek@gmail.com) wrote:

hi blake,

many other libs don't have an issue with using the std. wrapper approach (+ ExternalContextWrapper).
-> without concrete details we can't follow, since ExternalContextWrapper was introduced for keeping libs as stable/compatible as possible (across spec. revisions).

regards,
gerhard

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF/JavaEE powerhouse -
JavaEE Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

2013/10/30 Blake Sullivan <bl...@oracle.com>
That's only if you are wrapping another ExternalContext.  If you need to create an ExternalContext out of thin air, then any new abstract methods are a problem.  Essentially, the JSF specification made an incompatible api change between JSF 2.0 and 2.1.

-- Blake Sullivan

On Oct 30, 2013, at 3:49 PM, Gerhard Petracek wrote:

@ExternalContext:
there shouldn't be an issue due to ExternalContextWrapper.

in any case +1 for the rest.

regards,
gerhard

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF/JavaEE powerhouse -
JavaEE Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

2013/10/30 Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>
Gerhard and Devs,

The problem is there was some 2.1 stuff added to the ExternalContext I believe.  At any rate, I agree with you and I've managed to free up some free time to get a release.  So here is what I suggest:

1) I'm going to begin the release of the Trinidad plugins.  With voting this should give us a couple of days to get the main trinidad 2.1 release where we want it.

2) I'm hearing concerns about some of the functionality, so while the Trinidad Plugin release is underway, let's try and figure out which uncomiited community patches are out there and should make this release.  Getting help from you guys on which bugs are important would be a huge help because there is a lot in our bug queue and it would take me a long time to sort everything out.

3) I've already fixed Gerhard's issue he raised below.  You're 100% right, this shouldn't have happened.  There is a slight build with the Jenkins sanity and I'm taking a look at that now, but the snapshots are building fine.

4) Let's get through this release and then we'll talk about future steps once the release is complete.

Sounds like a plan?
--
Scott O'Bryan

On October 30, 2013 at 7:59:38 AM, Gerhard Petracek (gerhard.petracek@gmail.com) wrote:

you

Re: [DISCUSS] trinidad.next

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
i guess it's quite specific to trinidad and other libs with similar
requirements just use a different approach (and/or abstraction) to do the
same.
now it's clear what was done (and the reason for it), however, as we see
there are clear limitations once you are doing it that way.

Re: [DISCUSS] trinidad.next

Posted by Blake Sullivan <bl...@oracle.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] trinidad.next

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
hi blake,

Re: [DISCUSS] trinidad.next

Posted by Blake Sullivan <bl...@oracle.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] trinidad.next

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
@ExternalContext:

Re: [DISCUSS] trinidad.next

Re: [DISCUSS] trinidad.next

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
hi scott,

yes - that isn't a big issue (even though the reason for it is quite
questionable, if you consider the changes in jsf 2.1).
however, i'm more concerned about the implication of the topics i mentioned
earlier.

Re: [DISCUSS] trinidad.next

Re: [DISCUSS] trinidad.next

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
hi eduardo,

Re: [DISCUSS] trinidad.next

Posted by Contrib <gc...@cibinetonline.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] trinidad.next

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <gp...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] trinidad.next

Posted by Hazem Saleh <ha...@apache.org>.
+1 for a release too.

Re: [DISCUSS] trinidad.next

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.
Am 17.10.13 22:47, schrieb Gerhard Petracek:
> hi @ all,
>
> we haven't seen a trinidad release for almost >20 months<.
> it's known that other projects are based on trinidad and therefore it's
> obvious that they have to use snapshot versions.
>
> imo:
> since there are commits on a regular basis, there should be also
> releases on a regular basis.
>
> regards,
> gerhard
+1 for a release