Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/09 18:43:19 UTC

Goodies of NetBeans Project infrastructure was: NBCode: VSCode Java Extension based on NetBeans

Jesse wrote:
> > With NBCode people will be able to get the goodies of NetBeans (Maven
> > projects
> Probably off topic for this thread, but this part caught my eye. Do I
> get it right that in addition to exposing the NB Java parser to Code,
>
> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/9f2b595df801547c53292952199609ff3ab9
> ec99/java/java.lsp.server/src/org/netbeans/modules/java/lsp/server/Server.ja
> va#L129-L174
>
> ensures that classpath determinations as made by the likes of
>
> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/9f2b595df801547c53292952199609ff3ab9
> ec99/java/maven/src/org/netbeans/modules/maven/classpath/CompileClassPathImp
> l.java#L50-L65
>
> are also considered definitive? If so, neat, though this only offers a
> tiny portion of the NB project system’s functionality.

Yes, understanding classpath of various project types is the major benefit use
using NetBeans.

Neil wrote:
> I'd prefer to see LSP support actually in the JDK

If the LSP Java support was done in JDK, then it couldn't understand
`pom.xml`, neither `build.gradle`, etc.  It would be pretty limited.

By using NetBeans one gets the understanding of common project types for free.
Moreover it is extensible, so we can have OpenJDK project support and possibly
also "mx" project support (for understanding Graal sources without any
generated).

We'll see what other NetBeans goodies we can benefit from.
-jt

Re: Goodies of NetBeans Project infrastructure was: NBCode: VSCode Java Extension based on NetBeans

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
On 10/9/20 11:43 AM, Jaroslav Tulach wrote:
> Jesse wrote:
>>> With NBCode people will be able to get the goodies of NetBeans (Maven
>>> projects
>> Probably off topic for this thread, but this part caught my eye. Do I
>> get it right that in addition to exposing the NB Java parser to Code,
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/9f2b595df801547c53292952199609ff3ab9
>> ec99/java/java.lsp.server/src/org/netbeans/modules/java/lsp/server/Server.ja
>> va#L129-L174
>>
>> ensures that classpath determinations as made by the likes of
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/9f2b595df801547c53292952199609ff3ab9
>> ec99/java/maven/src/org/netbeans/modules/maven/classpath/CompileClassPathImp
>> l.java#L50-L65
>>
>> are also considered definitive? If so, neat, though this only offers a
>> tiny portion of the NB project system’s functionality.
>
> Yes, understanding classpath of various project types is the major benefit use
> using NetBeans.
Well, just some self reflection: me "understanding the classpath of
various project types" would be a major benefit using NetBeans. Well,
I'm trying to get there...

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 9 Oct 2020, 19:43 Jaroslav Tulach, <ja...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Neil wrote:
> > I'd prefer to see LSP support actually in the JDK
>
> If the LSP Java support was done in JDK, then it couldn't understand
> `pom.xml`, neither `build.gradle`, etc.  It would be pretty limited.

To me, that's somewhat akin to saying javac is limited because it doesn't
understand pom.xml or build.gradle!

Anyway, it's not happening at present, so the point's moot.

Best wishes,

Neil