Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by tmb <to...@yahoo.com> on 2002/12/12 03:31:36 UTC

[users@httpd] How to "verify" http downloaded files ?

I wanted to download the latest Apache, PHP & MySQL to
install on a Win98se laptop for use over the
holiday's...

I just noticed that the Apache site "strongly suggest"
that I 'verify' the downloaded files with either PGP
or MD5.

I would guess that this would mean I must download and
install PGP or MD^ before I download the Apache
files... correct? (Played with PGP a couple of years
ago but never really used it.)

Once I do this & download the Apache files & keys...
what do I do?

I see the below on the Apache download page...

% pgpk -a KEYS
% pgpv apache_1.3.24.tar.gz.asc
or
% pgp -ka KEYS
% pgp apache_1.3.24.tar.gz.asc
or
% gpg --import KEYS
% gpg --verify apache_1.3.24.tar.gz.asc

Does this mean I go to the DOS prompt and enter one of
these lines or what?

Thanks for any help.

tmb

PS - Sorry for asking for the basic tutorial, but I
have to have this ready to leave in a few days so
hopefully someone will hold my hand through the
download & installation process.