Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by "Kito D. Mann" <km...@virtua.com> on 2007/05/25 18:50:11 UTC

Orchestra vs Spring-Annotations

Hey, can anyone tell me how Orchestra compares to Spring-Annotations JSF
module (http://sannotations.sourceforge.net/jsf.html)?

Kito D. Mann - Author, JavaServer Faces in Action
 <http://www.virtua.com/> http://www.virtua.com - JSF/Java EE consulting,
training, and mentoring
 <http://www.jsfcentral.com/> http://www.JSFCentral.com - JavaServer Faces
FAQ, news, and info

* Sign up for the JSF Central newsletter!
<http://oi.vresp.com/?fid=ac048d0e17> http://oi.vresp.com/?fid=ac048d0e17 *

Re: Orchestra vs Spring-Annotations

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.
Craig McClanahan schrieb:
> On 5/25/07, Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> wrote:
> [snip]
>> * We really introduce a conversation scope comparable to session,
>> request etc ... you use scope="conversation" in your managed bean config
>> to do the magic
> [snip]
>
> You can certainly get away with this in JSF 1.1, because even though
> the DTD specifies the set of legal values for scope in comments, it is
> not enforced by DTD validation.  *If* the 1.2 schema defines specific
> validation rules for these values (I haven't checked), though, you are
> going to have problems when an application wants to validate a config
> file that uses this setting, until some future version of the JSF spec
> defines "conversation" as a valid scope value.
>
> Craig

Except one thing, Craig, Orchestra derives its configuration from Spring
not JSF and does not touch the JSF configuration.

Re: Orchestra vs Spring-Annotations

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Beelen, Marco" <ma...@merck.com>.
Done: Issues MYFACES-1654 and MYFACES-1655 created.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
yes,

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.
Werner Punz schrieb:

> I dropped the info in the wiki, as I posted before. The overlap is that
> we have conversations as well, but ours are much more advanced.
> Personally it would be perfect if those guys would use orchestra as
> their conversation provider and would push their stuff on top of it. It
> would be a perfect fit.
> Their conversations just provide data structures to store objects no orm
> control whatsoever.

Actually I just sent the guy doing the spring-annotations framework a
mail, he really should look into it, if he wants to reuse Orchestra as
his scope provider, his project would gain a lot from it.

Re: Orchestra vs Spring-Annotations

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

> Hey, can anyone tell me how Orchestra compares to Spring-Annotations
> JSF module (http://sannotations.sourceforge.net/jsf.html)?

I did not find the required information on their homepage, though, it
looks like there is indeed some overlap.

Some quick differences are:
* Orchestra do not require annotations, admitted, they simplify your
life ;-)
* We really introduce a conversation scope comparable to session,
request etc ... you use scope="conversation" in your managed bean config
to do the magic
We hope that makes it more natural to use, every JSF developer is aware
of scopes ... so we just have one or two additional scopes.
* We had persistence in mind, means, beans in one of those scope can
have a persistence context with the same length = long sessions, though,
as I already mentioned in another post using our persistence is optional.
You can configure conversation scopes with this persistence context
synchronization, and another conversation name without this feature
enabled. The same counts for our flash scope.

Ok, with the above features we are just one of many :-), but at least we
try another strategy than the others.

Additionally we try another approach to generate forms based on the
beans meta data (=annotations).
IMHO in contrast to generated JSF pages the cons here are:
* the form changes as your model do
* the user will be able to choose which properties to view within the
form (this is a future enhancement) - often it depends on the
installation how the form should look like, now the user can custom it.
I think this will work best with dataTable like pages.

Re: Orchestra on code.google.com

Posted by Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com>.

> how about using jsf-comp.sf.net?

I was going to suggest the same, but google is fine too anyway.

Cagatay

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi Jesse!
> how about using jsf-comp.sf.net?

Sure, why not, we can add a orchestra-(extras|nonasf) module.

What about stability of sourceforge lately? I used it in the past, but
was disappointed about speed and reachability.

Ciao,
Mario

--
mit freundlichen Grüßen

Mario Ivankovits
Software Engineering

OPS EDV VertriebsgesmbH
A-1120 Wien, Michael-Bernhard-Gasse 10

Firmenbuch Nr.: FN51233v, Handelsgericht Wien
Tel.: +43-1-8938810; Fax: +43-1-8938810/3700
http://www.ops.co.at

E-Mail: mario@ops.co.at
Skype: mario_ivankovits

RE: Orchestra on code.google.com

Posted by "Jesse Alexander (KSFD 121)" <al...@credit-suisse.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> Thanks. Looking forward to it. Has any one ported Petstore 2.0 to Spring
> JPA and tomcat or Jetty?

not petstore, but CRUD

code.google.com/p/facesgoodies

Posted by "Dr. Duong BaTien" <du...@dbgroups.com>.
On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 09:39 -0700, Craig McClanahan wrote:
> On 6/26/07, Dr. Duong BaTien <du...@dbgroups.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > The beginnings of a Clay based port of the Petstore app, and a few
> > > related experiments.
> > >
> > > Craig
> > >
> > Thanks. Looking forward to it. Has any one ported Petstore 2.0 to Spring
> > JPA and tomcat or Jetty?
> >
> > Craig, is there any thought on Shale and WebBeans? (Hope not to offend
> > any one on this list)
> >

> I'm on the expert group for WebBeans[1], along with a bunch of other
> people.  There will definitely be some functional overlap on what
> Shale calls the dialog manager -- you will really really really want
> to pick one framework for that kind of stuff, be it Shale's,
> Trinidad's, Orchestra's, Seam's, WebBeans's, Spring's ... but other
> than that there's no reason you shouldn't be able to use Shale
> features and WebBeans features together, since they are both built on
> top of JSF APIs.
>
> Craig

Thanks for the insight. It may be useful to define how Shale positions
itself to WebBeans, regardless of what implementation the user may
decide to take.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 6/28/07, Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Craig McClanahan schrieb:
>
> > I'm on the expert group for WebBeans[1], along with a bunch of other
> > people.  There will definitely be some functional overlap on what
> > Shale calls the dialog manager -- you will really really really want
> > to pick one framework for that kind of stuff, be it Shale's,
> > Trinidad's, Orchestra's, Seam's, WebBeans's, Spring's ... but other
> > than that there's no reason you shouldn't be able to use Shale
> > features and WebBeans features together, since they are both built on
> > top of JSF APIs.
> >
> Btw. Craig, you might be happy to hear, that I started with some
> preliminary Orchestra/Shale integration two days ago.
> I have nothing to show off yet, because I still tinker around with
> things and trying to find myself around in both codebases, but so far
> things look pretty good.

Cool ... I just answered your first question on the Shale list, also.

> After three hours of reading the codebase and tinkering with it, I was
> able to fetch orchestra conversational beans within a defined Shale
> Dialog environment and have shale issuing
> the end conversation commands which trigger all the jpa and bean related
> cleanup in orchestra.
>
> Yesterday I managed to bind all conversational beans under one dialog
> to one persistencecontext.
>
> I am still a little bit unclear about some things, but things look very
> good for an integration bridge which is not too hard to configure.
>
> (so far it looks like a special shaledialog scope
> in spring should do the trick)

That makes sense.

> If all goes well then Shale dialog will be the first high level
> conversation framework with an orchestra binding.
> Or the other way round the first framework orchestra prodides bindings for.

Looking forward to seeing this in action :-).

Craig

Re: Orchestra on code.google.com

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Dr. Duong BaTien" <du...@dbgroups.com>.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Dr. Duong BaTien" <du...@dbgroups.com>.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi Dennis!
> Perhaps this has been covered already, but does it have binary deps on
> MyFaces?  Or just the JSF API?
No deps to MyFaces, else it would be a bug.

> If Orchstra has no dep on the MyFaces implementation, you may be able
> to open this up to more users and you wouldn't have to find a new name
> - just add it to facesgoodies.
Yea, but then jsf-comp.sf.net might be a better and already known place, no?

Posted by Dennis Byrne <de...@apache.org>.
Perhaps this has been covered already, but does it have binary deps on
MyFaces?  Or just the JSF API?  If Orchstra has no dep on the MyFaces
implementation, you may be able to open this up to more users and you
wouldn't have to find a new name - just add it to facesgoodies.

Dennis Byrne

--
Dennis Byrne

Re: Orchestra on code.google.com

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
no.

I want use ochestra in facesgoodies, soon.
but ochestra is different

I don't understand the complete discussion on the project name..
Mario's link is fine IMO

-M

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Kito D. Mann" <km...@virtua.com>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
For me, I'd say myfaces-orchestra-goodies tells me more than JSF-comp
about what to expect from this library, so

+1 for myfaces-orchestra-goodies (on code.google.com)

regards,

Martin

On 6/27/07, Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1,
>
> > Use the jsf-comp space for myfaces-orchestra non-asf license compatible
> > stuff. (Given the project owners accept it ;-) )
>
> Yeah they will, for example JSF ChartCreator uses JFreeChart which is LGPL;)
>
> Cagatay
>
> On 6/27/07, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > Use the module name myfaces-orchestra-goodies.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > go ahead ! :)
> >
> > > What do you think?
> > >
> > > Ciao,
> > > Mario
> > >

> > --
> > Matthias Wessendorf
> >
> > further stuff:
> > mail: matzew-at-apache-dot-org

--

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: Orchestra on code.google.com

Posted by Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com>.
+1,

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Jesse Alexander (KSFD 121)" <al...@credit-suisse.com>.
I do what I can, be pointing it out, whenever a question pops up on
something we have there...

but you are right, more publicity makes sense...

regards
Alexander

If you guys decide to use JSF comp, I suggest pushing them for a little
better PR. No one really knows all of the goodies they have...

Posted by "Kito D. Mann" <km...@virtua.com>.

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jesse Alexander (KSFD 121)" <al...@credit-suisse.com>.
Of course we accept it...
We put jsf-comp to live to have a haven for non-adf-compatible stuff.
Better host it on such a side-project, than nowhere...

module name is up to you. (Personally i think it is a little bit long,
but the module-creator is in the driver seat).

Just give me an info, when you decide upon it and tell me the
module-name, than I will setup the file-delivery-package (seems that's
about the only thing only admins can do).

regards
Alexander

>     What about stability of sourceforge lately? I used it in the past,
but
>     was disappointed about speed and reachability.
>

> I had no problems with sourceforge for a long time when working on
> jsf-comp.
Ok, so lets sum up ...

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Cagatay Civici wrote:
> Mario,
>
>     What about stability of sourceforge lately? I used it in the past, but
>     was disappointed about speed and reachability.
>

> I had no problems with sourceforge for a long time when working on
> jsf-comp.
Ok, so lets sum up ...

Posted by Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com>.
Mario,

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
hey Mario,

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi Michael!

Posted by Michael Marr <ec...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Werner Punz-2 wrote:

> That means that every object loaded via this entity manager is assigned
> to it as long as the scope is active. Connectors currently are provided
> for Hibernate and Standard JPA.

did not find the connector for Hibernate. I do not want to use JPA, but
rather just spring DAOs.
Is a direct Hibernate connector available? If so, how do I use it?

Thanks
Michael

RE: Orchestra vs Spring-Annotations

Posted by "Kito D. Mann" <km...@virtua.com>.
Hey, thanks for all of the insight, guys...

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.
Kito D. Mann schrieb:
> Hey, can anyone tell me how Orchestra compares to Spring-Annotations JSF
> module (http://sannotations.sourceforge.net/jsf.html)?

Btw. Kito, I took the liberty to add this question and the answer to the
currently emerging Orchestra Wiki Subpages:

here are various comparisons to other frameworks, I kept the seam part
smaller than I wanted, because I am not 100% sure, but Seam adds its
custom scoping system to Spring 2.0 hence renders some of springs
excellent scoping functionality useless (I am not going to add this info
until I have it verfied)

anyway here is the page with all the framework comparisons:

http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/Orchestra_and_other_Dialog/Conversation_Frameworks

and here one to the emerging orchestra wiki part

http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/Orchestra