Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Manuel Mall <mm...@arcus.com.au> on 2005/09/22 09:07:40 UTC

Re: [Xmlgraphics-fop Wiki] Update of "BreakPossibilityBuilding" by JeremiasMaerki

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:36 pm, Apache Wiki wrote:
> Dear Wiki user,

<snip/>

>   = Borders and Padding =
>
> - Borders and paddings are generally replicated on each page when
> block-level FO spans more than a page. Nesting FOs can cause multiple
> such marks to appear at the beginning and at the end of a page. For
> each break possibility inside an FO and for breaks between FOs that
> are nested under a parent breaking such marks these border and
> padding widths may have to be taken into account when building the
> element list for the break possibility, depending on their order. The
> first non-conditional length (counted from the edge of the reference
> area) will cause subsequent conditional lengths to appear in every
> case. + Borders and paddings are generally replicated on each page
> when a block-level FO spans more than a page. Nesting FOs can cause
> multiple such marks to appear at the beginning and at the end of a
> page. For each break possibility inside an FO and for breaks between
> FOs that are nested under a parent breaking such marks, these border
> and padding widths may have to be taken into account when building
> the element list for the break possibility, depending on their order.
> (The first non-conditional length (counted from the edge of the
> reference area) will cause subsequent conditional lengths to appear
> in every case. ''This last sentence is probably wrong!'')

Jeremias, I was wondering about that myself when I read your page. My
understanding is that the question if a border/padding is drawn or not
is independent of any spaces "surrounding" it and what treatment they
receive. That is the decision if a border/padding is drawn depends
solely on its conditionality, and the respective "is-first" / "is-last"
traits on the area in question.

And yes, there is space-start/end stuff in the inline LMs which is
broken but I would suggest to leave that until the space handling in
bpd is sorted out.

Manuel

Re: [Xmlgraphics-fop Wiki] Update of "BreakPossibilityBuilding" by JeremiasMaerki

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Last time, I ended up calling Simon using SkypeOut on his normal phone.
A Skype conference call didn't happen. Some are not comfortable speaking
in a foreign language on the phone. Anyway, I've got a webcam and
Festoon is installed alongside with Skype. Video conferencing with
Windows Messenger should also work but I've only tested vSkype/Festoon
so far.

My IM coordinates:
http://www.jeremias-maerki.ch/contact.html

On 22.09.2005 09:47:09 Manuel Mall wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 03:19 pm, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > Hey, I make mistakes. If you guys find anything wrong I hope you make
> > me aware of it. Thanks for the feedback. I'd give a lot to beam one
> > or two of you to my place to have a chance of discussing this
> > face-to-face.
> >
> Ever considered a webcam + MSN or similar?

> > > <snip/>

> > > Jeremias, I was wondering about that myself when I read your page.
> > > My understanding is that the question if a border/padding is drawn
> > > or not is independent of any spaces "surrounding" it and what
> > > treatment they receive. That is the decision if a border/padding is
> > > drawn depends solely on its conditionality, and the respective
> > > "is-first" / "is-last" traits on the area in question.
> > >
> > > And yes, there is space-start/end stuff in the inline LMs which is
> > > broken but I would suggest to leave that until the space handling
> > > in bpd is sorted out.
> > >
> > > Manuel
> Further to this in your Example 9 you wrote:
>
> ... padding is not suppressed ...
>
> I think it is unless "is-first" or "is-last" is true.

Uhm, I think I need to revise Example 9 as a whole.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: [Xmlgraphics-fop Wiki] Update of "BreakPossibilityBuilding" by JeremiasMaerki

Posted by Manuel Mall <mm...@arcus.com.au>.
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 03:19 pm, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Hey, I make mistakes. If you guys find anything wrong I hope you make
> me aware of it. Thanks for the feedback. I'd give a lot to beam one
> or two of you to my place to have a chance of discussing this
> face-to-face.

Ever considered a webcam + MSN or similar?

> On 22.09.2005 09:07:40 Manuel Mall wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:36 pm, Apache Wiki wrote:
> > > Dear Wiki user,
> >
> > <snip/>
> >
> > >   = Borders and Padding =
> > >
> > > - Borders and paddings are generally replicated on each page when
> > > block-level FO spans more than a page. Nesting FOs can cause
> > > multiple such marks to appear at the beginning and at the end of
> > > a page. For each break possibility inside an FO and for breaks
> > > between FOs that are nested under a parent breaking such marks
> > > these border and padding widths may have to be taken into account
> > > when building the element list for the break possibility,
> > > depending on their order. The first non-conditional length
> > > (counted from the edge of the reference area) will cause
> > > subsequent conditional lengths to appear in every case. + Borders
> > > and paddings are generally replicated on each page when a
> > > block-level FO spans more than a page. Nesting FOs can cause
> > > multiple such marks to appear at the beginning and at the end of
> > > a page. For each break possibility inside an FO and for breaks
> > > between FOs that are nested under a parent breaking such marks,
> > > these border and padding widths may have to be taken into account
> > > when building the element list for the break possibility,
> > > depending on their order. (The first non-conditional length
> > > (counted from the edge of the reference area) will cause
> > > subsequent conditional lengths to appear in every case. ''This
> > > last sentence is probably wrong!'')
> >
> > Jeremias, I was wondering about that myself when I read your page.
> > My understanding is that the question if a border/padding is drawn
> > or not is independent of any spaces "surrounding" it and what
> > treatment they receive. That is the decision if a border/padding is
> > drawn depends solely on its conditionality, and the respective
> > "is-first" / "is-last" traits on the area in question.
> >
> > And yes, there is space-start/end stuff in the inline LMs which is
> > broken but I would suggest to leave that until the space handling
> > in bpd is sorted out.
> >
> > Manuel
Further to this in your Example 9 you wrote:

... padding is not suppressed ...

I think it is unless "is-first" or "is-last" is true.

> Jeremias Maerki
Manuel

Re: [Xmlgraphics-fop Wiki] Update of "BreakPossibilityBuilding" by JeremiasMaerki

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Hey, I make mistakes. If you guys find anything wrong I hope you make me
aware of it. Thanks for the feedback. I'd give a lot to beam one or two
of you to my place to have a chance of discussing this face-to-face.

On 22.09.2005 09:07:40 Manuel Mall wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:36 pm, Apache Wiki wrote:
> > Dear Wiki user,
> >
> <snip/>
> >
> >   = Borders and Padding =
> >
> > - Borders and paddings are generally replicated on each page when
> > block-level FO spans more than a page. Nesting FOs can cause multiple
> > such marks to appear at the beginning and at the end of a page. For
> > each break possibility inside an FO and for breaks between FOs that
> > are nested under a parent breaking such marks these border and
> > padding widths may have to be taken into account when building the
> > element list for the break possibility, depending on their order. The
> > first non-conditional length (counted from the edge of the reference
> > area) will cause subsequent conditional lengths to appear in every
> > case. + Borders and paddings are generally replicated on each page
> > when a block-level FO spans more than a page. Nesting FOs can cause
> > multiple such marks to appear at the beginning and at the end of a
> > page. For each break possibility inside an FO and for breaks between
> > FOs that are nested under a parent breaking such marks, these border
> > and padding widths may have to be taken into account when building
> > the element list for the break possibility, depending on their order.
> > (The first non-conditional length (counted from the edge of the
> > reference area) will cause subsequent conditional lengths to appear
> > in every case. ''This last sentence is probably wrong!'')
> >
> Jeremias, I was wondering about that myself when I read your page. My
> understanding is that the question if a border/padding is drawn or not
> is independent of any spaces "surrounding" it and what treatment they
> receive. That is the decision if a border/padding is drawn depends
> solely on its conditionality, and the respective "is-first" / "is-last"
> traits on the area in question.
>
> And yes, there is space-start/end stuff in the inline LMs which is
> broken but I would suggest to leave that until the space handling in
> bpd is sorted out.
>
> Manuel

Jeremias Maerki