Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dennis Allen <dw...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/31 18:03:03 UTC

How to move a repository from one server to another?

I'm a subversion newbie...

A team member (who is no longer here) had a repository installed on his
local machine.  I want to move that repository that to a publicly accessible
server, and allow others to access it.  The move should retain any history.
Also, I will want to rename the root folder on the new server.

Background: The server uses svnserve (not Apache) and all of the clients
will use either Tortoisesvn or the Eclipse plug-in.  The repository is the
OS file system option.

Do I just:
a) Copy the repository directory (XCOPY) to the new server.  Then do a
"switch" ??? on the client machines?

  or

b) Do an export then re-import?

   or

c)  Your steps here...

I have tried a variation on "a" above and ran into problems where the client
complained that the file(s) were already linked to another repository, so I
must be doing something wrong.

Thanks

Re: How to move a repository from one server to another?

Posted by Nathan Kidd <na...@spicycrypto.ca>.
Johnathan Gifford wrote:
> Um, do those if you want to move his working copy.
>
> To move a repository is another set of steps.

Read his post again. :)

1. He's using FSFS (platform doesn't matter,  no need for dump/reload)
2. He's already copied the repo to a new server
3. The only problem he was having was the client (in a working copy!)
being confused, presumably because he did a "switch" without --relocate.

But if he'd been using BDB on a multi-user, differently architectured
machine you have some helpful tips.

Cheers,

-Nathan

Re: How to move a repository from one server to another?

Posted by Johnathan Gifford <jg...@wernervas.com>.
Um, do those if you want to move his working copy.

To move a repository is another set of steps.  As long as the OS is the same for his computer and the server (aka Windows of any version), see below.  If the OS's are different (*nix vs. Windows), start reading the SVN book how to dump his repository and how to load it into a new one.

If no one is accessing the repository (read and write):

1).  Copy the repository directory to the other server..

If people are still accessing the repository:

1)  Find a copy of svn fast backup (there is shell script version and a python version) on his computer and run it.
2)  Copy the backup directory to the other server.

For those who still need to access his repository, but just don't want to recreate their working copies, have them use the below suggestions.

Johnathan

Posted by Nathan Kidd <na...@spicycrypto.ca>.

Posted by Pedro Lamarão <pe...@intersix.com.br>.

--
Pedro Lamarão
Desenvolvimento

Intersix Technologies S.A.
SP: (55 11 3803-9300)
RJ: (55 21 3852-3240)
www.intersix.com.br

Your Security is our Business

Re: How to move a repository from one server to another?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 31, 2006, at 12:03, Dennis Allen wrote:

> A team member (who is no longer here) had a repository installed on
> his local machine.  I want to move that repository that to a
> publicly accessible server, and allow others to access it.  The
> move should retain any history.  Also, I will want to rename the
> root folder on the new server.
>
> Background: The server uses svnserve (not Apache) and all of the
> clients will use either Tortoisesvn or the Eclipse plug-in.  The
> repository is the OS file system option.
>
> Do I just:
> a) Copy the repository directory (XCOPY) to the new server.  Then
> do a "switch" ??? on the client machines?

You can do this, if the repository is FSFS-based, or if the
repository is BDB-based AND both servers have exactly the same
versions of BDB.

>   or
>
> b) Do an export then re-import?

You would lose the history, which you say you don't want to do, so
don't do this.

>    or
>
> c)  Your steps here...

You could "svnadmin dump" the old repository on the old server, then
"svnadmin load" the dumpfile into a new repository created on the new
machine with "svnadmin create". This is the way that you would
migrate between BDB versions, and this is the way that you would
migrate from a BDB- to an FSFS-based repository, and this way will
always work, whereas simply copying the repository might not. But
don't forget to also manually move any hooks and config files as
these are not preserved in a dumpfile.

> I have tried a variation on "a" above and ran into problems where
> the client complained that the file(s) were already linked to
> another repository, so I must be doing something wrong.

As someone said, you need not "svn switch" but "svn switch --relocate".