Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by AirDT <co...@solgt.fr> on 2014/01/16 15:41:49 UTC

Derby in production environment

Hello,

I want to use Derby in a production environment and I read the following
sentence:
"The Derby database Has No Associated security controls, and no
optimizations-have-been performed. Reasons For thesis, do not use Derby in a
Production environment."
in doc
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmbhelp/v6r1m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.etools.mft.doc%2Fah35004_.htm

Is Derby currently being used successfully in production environments?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

AirDT

RE: Derby in production environment

Posted by "John I. Moore, Jr." <so...@att.net>.
Another data point.  I have been using Derby in a production environment for more than
five years.  Only once did I encounter a problem, and it was quickly resolved.  At some
point I will get around to adding this to the wiki list of uses of Derby.

John I. Moore, Jr.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
Hi AirDT,

The following wiki page lists products which use or support Derby. This
is a community-maintained page so it's probably stale. In addition, it
only cites the tiny fraction of products which bothered to identify
themselves here: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UsesOfDerby

Hope this helps,
-Rick

Posted by Brett Wooldridge <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dyre Tjeldvoll <Dy...@oracle.com>.
On 16. jan. 2014, at 15:56, Dyre Tjeldvoll <Dy...@oracle.com> wrote:

> The URL you are referring to is NOT the official Derby web page, and the statements made there are not correct for the latest version of Apache Derby. The official page can be found here
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/
>
>  Derby *is* used in production and it has security controls as described here:
>
> Configuring security for Derby
>
> I *think* that the page you refer to describe the state of a MessageBroker application running in WebSphere that *can* use Derby internally, but this configuration is not recommended for the reasons you mention.

To be clear: The statement is misleading in that it makes it sound as if Derby does not have security controls or an optimizer. In fact Derby has both, but I believe the article is trying to say that the Message Broker application does not configure the controls for Derby and they have not tuned their queries for Derby.

Regards,

Dyre

Posted by Dyre Tjeldvoll <Dy...@oracle.com>.