Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jake Alley <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2004/02/08 15:23:10 UTC

tomcat 5.0.16 running out of resources

Hi, I'm running Tomcat 5.0.16 and I'm getting the following error
peiiodically:
The system is out of resources.
Consult the following stack trace for details.
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

It happens when certain jsp forms are compiled.  Is there a way to increase
the amount of system resources?  Sometimes the server just stops working and
leaves no log traces as well.  Could these be related?  This is with code
that worked fine in version 4.

Thanks.

Re: tomcat 5.0.16 running out of resources

Posted by Josh Rehman <jr...@citysearch.com>.
Sun's javac that comes with the 1.3 sdk leaks memory. This is a known
issue. 1.4+ and jikes can fix it.

To my mind the (much) better way is to precompile your JSPs. Check out:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/jasper-howto.html

This has the added benefit of avoiding that annoying stuttering when
your application is first accessed.

HTH

Posted by David Strupl <da...@solutions.cz>.
Hi,

also consider upgrading to 5.0.18 - there was a memory leak fixed in
tomcat. You can search the archive of this conference to find more info.

Best,

David