Posted to users@daffodil.apache.org by "Beckerle, Mike" <mb...@owlcyberdefense.com> on 2021/09/23 13:24:25 UTC

FYI: Apache emails blocked by Microsoft email spam filters

Please be advised.....

Apache email and Microsoft's spam filtering systems currently don't mix. This from an Apache internal site:

There have been ongoing problems with Microsoft domains partly because many of their users report our legitimate email as spam.

The Infrastructure team have been trying to get the bans removed, but with no success. At present mails from one of the two ASF outbound servers are being rejected; i.e. on average 50% of mails will not be delivered.

The following Microsoft domains are all affected (as of August 2021):

     *   hotmail.com
     *   live.com
     *   outlook.com

I have now tried to setup specific mail rules, specific "safe senders" for apache.org, and nothing seems to prevent many apache emails a day from going into the Microsoft outlook Junk email folder.

At this point I have requested Apache INFRA to make this problem better known. The only page I can find discussing it requires an Apache sign-on.

The only workaround is not to use a Microsoft email system for receiving Apache emails.

Or check your Outlook/Outlook365 Junk Email folder periodically for apache correspondence.

-mike beckerle
Apache Daffodil PMC