Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Dale Anson <da...@germane-software.com> on 2003/02/07 02:41:36 UTC

Re: SSH Tasks

So a BSD license would be acceptable? I wrote an ssh and scp task last
month based on the jsch library (java secure channel), which is
currently LGPL'd. I've been talking with the library author about
changing the license, and it appears he may be agreeable to a BSD
license. His concern in changing licenses is that he doesn't want to see
the library go the way of MindTerm, which originally was GPL, then
changed to proprietary. The jsch library is at www.jcraft.com.

Dale Anson
danson@germane-software.com

Re: SSH Tasks

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: SSH Tasks

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Posted by Dale Anson <da...@germane-software.com>.

Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Feb 2003, Dale Anson <da...@germane-software.com> wrote:
>

>>Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>>>Any pointers to it?  Your task, I mean.
>>>

>>It's at http://sourceforge.net/projects/antelope,
>>

>Do you feel like putting together a blurb for our "related projects"
>page for Anteleope?

That's been on my "to do" list for the longest!

>>These are (IMHO) a decent start, but need some work, in particular
>>the ability to include filesets in the scp task.
>>

>Hmm, even if jsch doesn't change its license, they could as well be a
>start of a task hosted by jsch - unless you really wanted them to
>remain part of Antelope.

The ssh tasks are packaged separately, they are not part of Antelope. My
thought is that they are useful on their own, so there is no reliance on
Antelope code to make them run. The only connection to Antelope is in
the package name, which, since it's all open source, can be changed if
anyone wants to.

Re: SSH Tasks

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: SSH Tasks

Posted by Dale Anson <da...@germane-software.com>.

Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Feb 2003, Dale Anson <da...@germane-software.com> wrote:
>
>>I wrote an ssh and scp task last month based on the jsch library
>>(java secure channel), which is currently LGPL'd.
>>

>Any pointers to it?  Your task, I mean.

It's at http://sourceforge.net/projects/antelope, the ssh tasks are in a
separate file (follow the 'download' link), then get ssh_tasks_021.zip.
The zip has the source, docs, and compiled classes. I packaged them
separately because of the license issues...! These are (IMHO) a decent
start, but need some work, in particular the ability to include filesets
in the scp task.

>What can we do to address this concern?

I'll forward your complete message to him and see where it goes.

>Ant is under a BSDish license.  There are people who redistribute our
>code, even in modified form, and do so using a commercial license.  Is
>this a problem for us?  We still have Ant under our license, we don't
>get access to the modifications others have made, but this is their
>choice IMHO.  Furthermore "they" are forced to give credit to us and
>must not call their product Ant.
>
>If you need help in evangelizing, I'm here 8-)

Thanks! I've done a lot at work to get rid of shell scripts, python
scripts, perl scripts, dos batch files, etc, to replace them with pure
Ant. Unfortunately, there are still a few things missing, ssh/scp being
a key piece.

Re: SSH Tasks

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 06 Feb 2003, Dale Anson <da...@germane-software.com> wrote:

> So a BSD license would be acceptable?

Certainly.

> I wrote an ssh and scp task last month based on the jsch library
> (java secure channel), which is currently LGPL'd.

Any pointers to it?  Your task, I mean.

> I've been talking with the library author about changing the
> license, and it appears he may be agreeable to a BSD license.

Cool.  This would be extremely useful.