Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Michal Mocny <mm...@google.com> on 2014/07/08 05:59:43 UTC

Famo.us & cordova?

>From todays Famo.us email marketting:

*Adobe collaboration*
We are proud to announce that we have officially begun a collaboration
project with the Adobe Cordova team to make core improvements to Cordova
itself. Included as part of this project will be a section of Famo.us
University to teach people how to wrap Famo.us apps.

*The Famo.us Wrapper*
The wrapper will enable developers to create a pluggable webview wrapped
inside their Android apps. The good news is that you can provide a Chrome
35 webview with this method. The bad news is that it comes with a 10-20MB
payload. We are collaborating with another company on this project—sorry,
but we can't say their name yet. This solution is in the labs and is not
ready for production. We will let you know when it is available. If you'd
like to participate in our beta, please contact fetterman@famo.us.

Re: Famo.us & cordova?

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.
I don't see CocoonJS as a "phonegap killer", maybe a "phonegap build
killer", they've just added cordova/phonegap API support.
They've created an improved webview for iOS and android, but phonegap isn't
about the webview, is about the API over it.
Sad part is they aren't open source, but they did a great job with their
webview.

Anyway, after iOS 8 and android L with their new webviews, maybe this kind
of projects (cocoonjs, crosswalk) won't make much sense in the future

Re: Famo.us & cordova?

Posted by Ross Gerbasi <rg...@gmail.com>.
I am all for "helping make improvements to Cordova itself" but very curious
what exactly they have in mind. As for the second point don't you already
have swappable webview ready to roll for 4.0? I would think if the Famo.us
team was actually helping with cordova and on the mailing list they would
already know this.... And the reason they don't want to just help and
contribute to Open Source is because they need neat buzz words like "The
Famo.us Wrapper".... sad...

Re: Famo.us & cordova?

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Famo.us & cordova?

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.

RE: Famo.us & cordova?

Posted by "Fischer, Paul A" <pa...@intel.com>.

Re: Famo.us & cordova?

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
Yes, we've been on the road educating them about Cordova and getting them
to become contributing members of the community. As evidenced by the 'kill
phonegap' rhetoric they still have a lot to learn. ;)

That said, they are very ambitous about contributing back to the 'many
webviews' future so that's great.

Re: Famo.us & cordova?

Posted by Lorin Beer <lo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Famo.us & cordova?