Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jenifer Watkins <je...@comcast.net> on 2014/03/21 02:09:11 UTC

stupid program

I hate Open Office—I have tried to fix it, I have a Mac OSX 10.9.1 and I know OO has a bug and I have tried to fix it, got to the library and deleted the folder, but still can’t shut down OO and, therefore, can’t update any other application.  I have looked all over the internet, have spent hours trying to get rid of this travesty, and I think this is totally irresponsible of this company, free or not, to NOT fix this easily.  This makes Windows look like child’s play—at least you can uninstall programs…..am very disappointed with Apache and OO.  It is probably going to cost me money to get my computer back….Jenifer Watkins

Re: stupid program

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Jenifer Watkins wrote:
> I hate Open Office—I have tried to fix it, I have a Mac OSX 10.9.1
> and I know OO has a bug and I have tried to fix it, got to the
> library and deleted the folder, but still can’t shut down OO and,
> therefore, can’t update any other application.  I have looked all
> over the internet, have spent hours trying to get rid of this
> travesty, and I think this is totally irresponsible of this company,
> free or not, to NOT fix this easily.  This makes Windows look like
> child’s play—at least you can uninstall programs…..am very
> disappointed with Apache and OO.  It is probably going to cost me
> money to get my computer back….Jenifer Watkins

Jennifer;

You need to delete the file "org.openoffice.script.savedState". It is in
the "Saved Application State" folder in your User/Library.

See this post on the user forum for detailed instructions:
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=55755#p244931

This is a known problem with OS X and has been addressed in the upcoming
4.1.0 release that is know in beta test. For more information please
read the Release Notes at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.0.1+Release+Notes#AOO4.0.1ReleaseNotes-KnownIssues.

Apache OpenOffice is not a company it is open source software that is
developed by volunteers under the auspices of the Apache Software
Foundation a charitable foundation dedicated to creating software for
the public good.

Regards
Keith N. McKenna

Re: stupid program

Posted by Jose R R <jo...@metztli.com>.
Niltze [Hi], Jenifer!

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Jenifer Watkins <je...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I hate Open Office--I have tried to fix it, I have a Mac OSX 10.9.1 and I know OO has a bug and I have tried to fix it, got to the library and deleted the folder, but still can't shut down OO and, therefore, can't update any other application.  I have looked all over the internet, have spent hours trying to get rid of this travesty, and I think this is totally irresponsible of this company, free or not, to NOT fix this easily.  This makes Windows look like child's play--at least you can uninstall programs.....am very disappointed with Apache and OO.  It is probably going to cost me money to get my computer back....Jenifer Watkins

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with OpenOffice. In
GNU/Linux I am running the stable and the beta versions and have no
issue(s) resembling what you describe.

Given the fact that Mac OSX is based on (free)BSD, please try the
following to end the OpenOffice instance that you claim 'can't shut
down'.

Based on ps manpage (i.e., reference) online at
http://nixdoc.net/man-pages/FreeBSD/ps.1.html
please open a command line window (if you don't know how please check
your Apple computer instructions).

Once the window is open (the cursor may be blinking or appear as a an
underscore) please type:

ps -aux | grep soffice

output will be similar to:

[Mac user] 8171 0.0 0.0 4312 680 pts/0 S 18:14 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/soffice
[Mac user] 8185 0.3 2.0 1163080 168188 pts/0 Sl 18:14 1:18
/your/path/program/soffice.bin
[Mac user] 15587 0.0 0.0 11560 868 pts/2 R+ 23:48 0:00 grep soffice

immediately after the placeholder [Mac user] note the number in the
first line, in this example case 8171. You will need to 'feed' that
number as an argument to kill -- terminate a signal or process
http://nixdoc.net/man-pages/FreeBSD/kill.1.html as follows:

kill 8171

and that should shut down your OpenOffice instance.

Good luck!

Best Professional Regards.

--
Jose R R
http://www.metztli-it.com
Daylight Saving Time in USA & Canada ends: Sunday, November 02, 2014