Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Tapas Mishra <mi...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/04 13:31:33 UTC

grail application deployment plan on geremino via command line

Hi,
I want to  a web application that is made using grails .By reading
documentation I came that has to be converted to a .war format file.
This file has a deployment plan which comes in two XML files.

Right now I failed to deploy the application on the geronimo server.

I went through
https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/creating-deployment-plans-for-web-applications.html
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/
http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-2.0.1
https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/configuring-resources-in-the-application-scope.html
http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-2.0.1
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/
http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-2.0.1
https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/configuring-resources-in-the-application-scope.html

 Troubleshooting J2EE asset deployment
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/wasce/V1.0.1.1/en/Tasks/Deploy/Trouble.html

I did read all of the above links but I was not able to created xml
files to deploy them as specified.Upto this point I infer that the
problem is coming from deployment plan.

A solution that after  came to mind  to is create the website
using an IDE like Eclipse on a laptop or so and then that IDE will
take care of deployment plan which may have errors that I am right now
not able to find.

Then that application can be deployed on the server.Since I do not
have a GUI on server so it is not possible right now to do that way on
server.

Here is a  link to what I am saying.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-gerplug/index.html

The snapshot I have attached tells that the geronimo server is
running.So to me it does not appear that there is any problem on
server.

Since the helloworld script war running successfully on grails server
so it comes to either the way deployment is done or the deployment
plan that refers to XML files.

What should I check in if some one can tell.I am new to grails and
wrote a helloworld application.Wanted to deploy it on geremino.
Also please tell me as what I wrote above is correct or I understood
some thing wrong.

Re: grail application deployment plan on geremino via command line

Posted by Tapas Mishra <mi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the reply.

Re: grail application deployment plan on geremino via command line

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Hi Tapas,

I haven't looked at this in a long time ... probably the last time I
tried was on Geronimo 2.1.1 (but I don't really recall).

Here are some links and email threads on previous discussions of Grails
& Geronimo that might be of help.

Article (somewhat old now but worth a read):
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-ag-grails/

Previous discussions on the user list (a link to the 1st mail in each
thread):
http://marc.info/?l=geronimo-user&m=121074097613835&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=geronimo-user&m=125402368616253&w=2

Previous discussions on the dev list (a link to the 1st mail in each
thread):
http://marc.info/?l=geronimo-dev&m=122358770909371&w=2

In short ... the last time that I looked into this you needed a Geronimo
plan that looked something like this if you want to deploy the Grails
WAR in a Geronimo Tomcat JavaEE assembly:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-1.2">
   <environment xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.2">
       <moduleId>
           <groupId>yourGroupId</groupId>
           <artifactId>yourArtifactId</artifactId>
           <version>yourVersion</version>
           <type>war</type>
       </moduleId>
       <hidden-classes>
           <filter>org.jaxen</filter>
       </hidden-classes>
   </environment>
   <context-root>/yourContextPath/</context-root>
</web-app>

And a plan that looked something like this if you wanted to deploy the
Grails WAR in a Geronimo Jetty JavaEE assembly:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-1.2">
   <environment xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.2">
       <moduleId>
           <groupId>yourGroupId</groupId>
           <artifactId>yourArtifactId</artifactId>
           <version>yourVersion</version>
           <type>war</type>
       </moduleId>
       <hidden-classes>
           <filter>org.springframework</filter>
       </hidden-classes>
   </environment>
   <context-root>/yourContextPath/</context-root>
</web-app>

I think that you can deploy the war file using a plan without any
special excludes (hidden-classes) if you are deploying it into either a
Tomcat or Jetty minimal assembly.

Hope that helps,
Joe