Posted to nmaven-dev@incubator.apache.org by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/27 02:28:24 UTC

Need Some Feedback

I noticed the discussion on the mailing list has been a bit slow lately,
even with the prospect of doing a release. Initially I had hopes to get to
graduation within 12 months, but I realize from a community perspective we
have a long way to go. So I wanted to get some feedback from everybody in
terms of what they think we can do to improve the situation.

I'm perfectly open to going back to the drawing board on any major issues.
I had hoped that the architecture for doing .NET plugins would bring in .NET
developers, but I don't see this happening. The platform matching is a
pretty big chunk of code that the community may not find interesting, so I
need to find out whether this should still be supported. RDF has, at best,
gotten lukewarm acceptance. Finally, we have the big issue of how to bring
.NET support into Maven itself.

Should we just start compiling a list of features and decide whether we need
them and then open up the design?

Shane

Re: Need Some Feedback

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.
Comments in line.

On 8/29/07, PeterNilsson <pe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are using Maven for building a multi-language project with both Java,
> C#
> and C++.
> For the C# projects we have been using NMaven since this spring. Currently
> we use a version of NMaven from late spring but we trying to upgrade to
> head
> as we speak.
>
> I haven't been coding that much C# myself (more Java and Maven) though so
> apologize if some of my comments are off target.
>
> Given our aim our main priority is:
>
> 1) NMaven should be as tightly integrated with Maven as possible.

This has been a constant issue: to what degree do we diverge from Maven and
to what degree do we diverge from .NET standards? This revolves around two
central issues: 1) version in the file-names (this enforces certain implied
we can break apart (2) and/or add tool-chain support to Maven core, then
that solves half the problem. (1) is a little trickier, but I am okay with
going with versions in the filenames, provided that the group, in general,
accepts the limitations. It's worth it to have a separate discussion (and
possible vote) on this issue.

As we have a multi-language build all things that require special treatment
> are a problem.
> For example:
> - The repository layout should be identical to Maven (I am not enough into
> C# to understand the problem with having versions in dll names)

The current approach is to use an entirely different repo structure that
mirrors the GAC. For plugins - like the deploy and assembly plugins - that
require a default repository layout, there is a repository converter that
does a conversion from the GAC-style repo to the default repo. You could
attach the converter to the lifecycle and then run the plugin. But again, a
lot of these issues relate to (1).

- Maximum reuse of existing Maven plugins. For example, I have tried using
> the dependency plugin for extracting artifacts from the repository (both
> Java and C#) but it fails for C# artifacts because the type coordinate
> "library" is assumed to be file extension which means it won't find C#
> dlls.

I have encountered this problem myself. This is a bug within Maven itself,
as it doesn't load the custom artifact handlers from the
components.xmlfile. In certain cases, I have to do explicit loading of
artifact handlers
prior to plugins working. This is something we can address within Maven core
and/or the respective plugins.

- No local installation (except the compiler of course). NMaven should be
> downloaded from remote repository as other plugins. Currently we can't
> delete our local repos as we have to rerun bootstrap-build again then.

The latest version in the trunk can handle downloading of release (not
snapshot) versions.

- Snapshot support

I agree that this is important.

We only target Windows for C# so Mono support is not a priority for us.
> However, support for Visual Studio 2008 will become a priority very soon.
> We
> tried running bootstrap-build with Studio 2008 but it failed.
>
> Regarding generation of csproj or pom.xml we would prefer generating
> csproj
> from pom.xml in the same way as the eclipse plugin generates eclipse
> projects. In a multi-language environment common configuration (in pom.xml
> )
> is very valuable.
>
> To sum it up: A stable build that works as similar to Maven for Java as
> possible, possibly at the expense of C# specific features, is our target.

I think that this is the critical direction that we need to address. Not
only do we have issue (1) above but we also need to decide whether we follow
Maven standards (such as the directory structure) that don't play nicely
with Visual Studio 2005. It looks as though people are adopting NMaven to
support a standard build system for Java and C#; but we also have Amol's
case that developers on Visual Studio need to use NMaven without modifying
the pom.xml. I have a similar requirement from a customer that NMaven should
be invisible as possible. This is much easier to support if we move away
from or at least don't enforce Maven conventions. If we can find out how
people intend to use the system, then we can make these hard decisions.

Shane

  Peter

Re: Need Some Feedback

Posted by PeterNilsson <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

We are using Maven for building a multi-language project with both Java, C#
and C++.
For the C# projects we have been using NMaven since this spring. Currently
we use a version of NMaven from late spring but we trying to upgrade to head
as we speak.

I haven't been coding that much C# myself (more Java and Maven) though so I

Re: Need Some Feedback

Posted by Evan Worley <ev...@gmail.com>.
I would also like to re-iterate that we should set a CI server up to
continuously build NMaven.  This will ensure that the NMaven builds on more
than one person's machine, and should make contributors more confident when
making changes.

-Evan

Re: Need Some Feedback

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.
Comments inline.

Re: Need Some Feedback

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.
We would have to raise the issue of how long it would take for the tool
chain support on the general maven dev list (although Jason may have some
idea). An alternative approach would be to breakout and generalize
the dotnet-executable and dotnet-vendor components to handle J2ME and J2SE
compilers and executables. The dotnet-vendor is a state machine that fills
in missing vendor info (vendor name, vendor version, framework version) and
finds executable paths, etc. Many of the APIs would work for Java but it
would need a different state-machine implementation. This state-machine
implementation would need to be pluggable.

The dotnet-executable is fairly generalized at a low level (meaning the conf
files and lower-level constructs should not need a lot of changes); but the
API itself is .NET specific so there would be a lot of changes at this
level. All in all, if you have a descent grasp of the code its about 3-4 man
weeks of work. To get this integrated into Maven core, I couldn't say at
this point. We'd need to look into that by creating a simple prototype.

To understand more on how this works:
http://incubator.apache.org/nmaven/environment-configuration.html
http://incubator.apache.org/nmaven/adding-executables.html

Shane