Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Timothy M. Brauch" <tb...@mindless.com> on 2003/02/02 06:52:19 UTC

[users@httpd] RHL 7.1

I just installed Red Hat Linux 7.1 and whatever version of Apache that came
with it.  I want to upgrade, but I am a little confused about some of the
options.  I have been using Linux for about 3 years now at school, but this
is the first time I've tried installing it.

I have read the instructions at apache.org and the How-To's at redhat.com
and the Apache chapter in Steve Shah's "Linux Administration: A Beginner's
Guide"  However, the last two were somewhat out of date.

What I would like to do is upgrade to the latest version of Apache, 2.0.44
on my computer.  I am don't really care where the actual program gets
installed, but I would like to store all of my html files at /var/www.  The
configure options all seem to be changing where the program get installed.
I would also like Apache and httpd to start when I boot up.  I could not
figure out how to do this from the resource I have looked at, and I do not
want to install the software if I cannot get this to work.

If someone could offer help, or point me to a website, I would be grateful.

 - Tim

Re: [users@httpd] RHL 7.1

Posted by Jeffrey Hellem <th...@phildowd.com>.
http://lamps.efactory.de/e-index.shtml

this is what i used, pay no attention to the lack of updating version
numbers.

it works flawlessly.

Keep    |
It      |
Simple  | Learned this a while back.
Stupid  |

Re: [users@httpd] RHL 7.1

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>.
Timothy M. Brauch wrote:

[...]
>I have read the instructions at apache.org and the How-To's at redhat.com
>and the Apache chapter in Steve Shah's "Linux Administration: A Beginner's
>Guide"  However, the last two were somewhat out of date.
>
>What I would like to do is upgrade to the latest version of Apache, 2.0.44
>on my computer.  I am don't really care where the actual program gets
>installed,

You should care.  Read about the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard:
	http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

>but I would like to store all of my html files at /var/www.

That's configurable.  RTFM.
	http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/

>The configure options all seem to be changing where the program get installed.
>I would also like Apache and httpd to start when I boot up.

RTFM

>I could not figure out how to do this from the resource I have looked at,
>and I do not want to install the software if I cannot get this to work.

I read somewhere that any manual needs to be read three times.  If you
understand in fewer readings, you're just reminding yourself.  If you
still don't understand in three readings, your knowledge base is not
large enough.

>If someone could offer help, or point me to a website, I would be grateful.

In addition to the Apache docs, read chapter 36 of The Rute User's
Tutorial and Exposition by Sheer, available as a dead tree or on-line at
	http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

Read chapter 16 of Running Linux, by Welsh, et al from O'Reilly.  Dead
tree only, ~USD35.

Apache does not require you to be a rocket scientist to configure and
run.  It does require *some* study on your part.

--
gt                         kk5st@sbcglobal.net
  Nielsen's First Law of Computer Manuals:

Re: [users@httpd] RHL 7.1

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.
Timothy M. Brauch wrote:
> I just installed Red Hat Linux 7.1 and whatever version of Apache that came
> with it.  I want to upgrade, but I am a little confused about some of the
> options.  I have been using Linux for about 3 years now at school, but this
> is the first time I've tried installing it.
>
> I have read the instructions at apache.org and the How-To's at redhat.com
> and the Apache chapter in Steve Shah's "Linux Administration: A Beginner's
> Guide"  However, the last two were somewhat out of date.
>
> What I would like to do is upgrade to the latest version of Apache, 2.0.44
> on my computer.  I am don't really care where the actual program gets
> installed, but I would like to store all of my html files at /var/www.  The
> configure options all seem to be changing where the program get installed.
> I would also like Apache and httpd to start when I boot up.  I could not
> figure out how to do this from the resource I have looked at, and I do not
> want to install the software if I cannot get this to work.
>
> If someone could offer help, or point me to a website, I would be grateful.
>
>  - Tim

step one : get a set of cds with rh8 / debian woody / mandrake 9 / suSE
( newest versions instead of older versions )
this is important because of newer kernel changes with linux kernel.

step 2 : place first cd into cd drive and boot installation.
step 3 : install os, including apache / perl / php / mysql ect if you
want these extra functions
step 4 : download and compile newest apache sources as per usual for the
version of linux you have.you can tell apache at this point where to do
everything, check the output of ./configure --help  ( might be able to
get an rpm from rh for 2.0.44 )
step 5 : un install the original version of apache
step 6 : run linuxconfig and point it at new version of apache for the
init script to run. ( conversely, just edit the init script to point to
the new version of apache. )

finished, and it should run right off the hop, unless you errored the
configure options during compiling.

RE: [users@httpd] RHL 7.1

Posted by Jeff Cohen <ap...@gej-it.com>.
HI Timothy,

First of all, by default the served HTML files are located at /var/www, so
no change is necessary.
About the upgrade to Apache 2.044, you can either use the RPMs search
engines and update your "system" (a lot of dependencies in Apache package
are involved) to the latest version, or you can use the sources and compile
yourself your own copy. If you read all the HOWTOs and manual, you should
already know how to do so by now.

RPM search engines:
http://www.rpmfind.net - My favorite
http://www.rpmseek.com