Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Roger Shah <rs...@caci.com> on 2011/05/23 16:10:03 UTC

SOLR Install

Hi,

I am a new user and I have installed SOLR 3.1.0 and running Tomcat 7.0.
I was able to run the example which shows the SOLR Admin screen.  Also posted an XML file by this command from dos prompt:  java -jar post.jar solr.xml.

How can I get SOLR to search web sites and also search through other types of files, databases, etc?

Instead of running the example that comes with SOLR, How do I create my own?

Also can you point me to a SOLR Guide or documentation?  I did not see any detailed documentation.

Please show me where can I post messages on the SOLR web site.

Thanks,
Raj

Re: SOLR Install

Posted by Gora Mohanty <go...@mimirtech.com>.
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 7:40 PM, Roger Shah <rs...@caci.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a new user and I have installed SOLR 3.1.0 and running Tomcat 7.0.
> I was able to run the example which shows the SOLR Admin screen.  Also posted an XML file by this command from dos prompt:  java -jar post.jar solr.xml.

Great.

> How can I get SOLR to search web sites and also search through other types of files, databases, etc?

Solr does not crawl websites. You probably want Nutch, or some other
crawler. Files, and databases are possible

> Instead of running the example that comes with SOLR, How do I create my own?

Um, start by modifying the examples, maybe? There are more examples
that cover files, DB, etc. Please do ask here if you run into issues.

> Also can you point me to a SOLR Guide or documentation?  I did not see any detailed documentation.

Er, what? Solr is probably among the best-documented FOSS projects, and
I can honestly say that because I have done none of the aforesaid
documentation :-)
the SolrWiki is fantastic:
* Complete list: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FrontPage
* Initial tutorial: http://lucene.apache.org/solr/tutorial.html
* For easy data import from a database, you could consider
 using the DataImportHandler:
 http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DataImportHandler

> Please show me where can I post messages on the SOLR web site.

Not sure what that means.

Regards,
Gora

RE: SOLR Install

Posted by Roger Shah <rs...@caci.com>.
Thanks, Yuhan.  I will look into both methods.  Which is better or which method is recommended?

How do I search through a database?

Raj

To index files by a post request, follow this tutorial:
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2006/08/09/solr-indexing-xml-with-lucene-andrest.html

Yuhan

RE: Searching Database

Posted by Roger Shah <rs...@caci.com>.
Sorry, Markus.  I was not aware I need to create a new email.

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.

Re: Searching Database

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Roger,

You have to import/index into Solr before you can search it.  Solr can't go into
your MS SQL server and search data in there.

Otis
----

Posted by Stefan Matheis <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Roger,

" .. but that looks like it is for importing .." it will remain the same
- no matter how often you'll search for it :) because that is .. what
solr is for. you have to import (and this means indexing, analyzing ..)
the whole content that you want to search.

You could either use DIH to import that content directly or use the
UpdateXML- / UpdateJSON-Handler to push the Content to SOLR.

Regards
Stefan

Re: Searching Database

Posted by Gora Mohanty <go...@mimirtech.com>.
On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Roger Shah <rs...@caci.com> wrote:
> How can I use SOLR (version 3.1) to search in our Microsoft SQL Server database?
> I looked at the DIH example but that looks like it is for importing.  I also looked at the following link:  http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DataImportHandler
[...]

That is exactly what you need. You first have to import the
data into Solr/Lucene before you can search it. I think that
you might be mistaken in your view of Solr: It is *not* an
add-on to a database that allows search.

Regards,
Gora

Re: Searching Database

Posted by Adam Estrada <es...@gmail.com>.
Roger,

Check this out...http://goo.gl/ygGL5

Adam

Searching Database

Re: Nutch Crawl error

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
This question would be better asked on the Nutch forum rather than the
Solr forum.

Best
Erick

Re: Nutch Crawl error