Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2013/03/09 02:50:18 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Roadmap toward v3.4.0 release

Hi all,

we had some good discussions on where we are today with 3.3.x, and how to
get to v3.4.0 at the latest ApacheCon. This is a summary of what we want to
achieve. Please read and comment.

Thanks,

-- leif and everyone who went to ACNA :)

Releases
=====

Release date for v3.4.0: June - July 2013
     v3.3.1 - March 2013 (now)
     v3.3.2 - April 2013
     v3.3.3 - May 2013 - This is also Feature Freeze
     v3.3.4 - June 2013 (last release before v3.4.0)

Toolchain
======

The minimum/platform requirements for building v3.4.0 are

     * gcc v4.1.2 (RHEL5) or compatible
     * clang v3.x and Intel CC (v12 or later)
     * Linux v2.6.18 or later (RHEL5)
     * FreeBSD, OSX and Solaris (e.g. OmniOS) supported
     * x86, x86_64 and ARM supported
     * In particular, we drop support for the SunStudio compiler suite, and
RHEL4 and earlier

Features
=====

The focus are on the following improvement over v3.2.x:

     * Close as many instability bugs as possible

     * Land SSD layered cache (aim for v3.3.2)

     * Volumes assigned to disks (aim for v3.3.2) [Comcast]

     * Time Wheel patch [Taobao]

     * Memory allocation [Yahoo and Taobao]

     * Range requests / lookup table (well tested)

     * More unit tests

     * Documentation - We really suffer here, it'd be great to make a push
for v3.4.0 docs

Re: [PROPOSAL] Roadmap toward v3.4.0 release

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 7:15 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 3/10/13 10:46 AM, Igor Galić wrote:
>

>>       * Documentation - We really suffer here, it'd be great to make a
>>       push
>> for v3.4.0 docs
>> I've discussed with James that it would be great to put the docs into the
>> git source tree - I've started on this front here:
>>
>>      https://github.com/igalic/**trafficserver/tree/sphinx-docs<https://github.com/igalic/trafficserver/tree/sphinx-docs>
>>
>> Your support and cheers are highly welcome ;)
>>

> Cheer!!

+1

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> we had some good discussions on where we are today with 3.3.x, and
> how to
> get to v3.4.0 at the latest ApacheCon. This is a summary of what we
> want to
> achieve. Please read and comment.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- leif and everyone who went to ACNA :)
>

> Releases
> =====
>
> Release date for v3.4.0: June - July 2013
>      v3.3.1 - March 2013 (now)
>      v3.3.2 - April 2013
>      v3.3.3 - May 2013 - This is also Feature Freeze
>      v3.3.4 - June 2013 (last release before v3.4.0)
>

> Toolchain
> ======
>
> The minimum/platform requirements for building v3.4.0 are
>
>      * gcc v4.1.2 (RHEL5) or compatible
>      * clang v3.x and Intel CC (v12 or later)
>      * Linux v2.6.18 or later (RHEL5)
>      * FreeBSD, OSX and Solaris (e.g. OmniOS) supported
>      * x86, x86_64 and ARM supported
>      * In particular, we drop support for the SunStudio compiler
>      suite, and
> RHEL4 and earlier
>

> Features
> =====
>
> The focus are on the following improvement over v3.2.x:
>
>      * Close as many instability bugs as possible
>
>      * Land SSD layered cache (aim for v3.3.2)
>
>      * Volumes assigned to disks (aim for v3.3.2) [Comcast]
>
>      * Time Wheel patch [Taobao]
>
>      * Memory allocation [Yahoo and Taobao]
>
>      * Range requests / lookup table (well tested)
>
>      * More unit tests
>
>      * Documentation - We really suffer here, it'd be great to make a
>      push
> for v3.4.0 docs

I've discussed with James that it would be great to put the docs into the
git source tree - I've started on this front here:

    https://github.com/igalic/trafficserver/tree/sphinx-docs

Your support and cheers are highly welcome ;)

-- i
Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Roadmap toward v3.4.0 release

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 3/9/13 1:17 AM, Yongming Zhao wrote:
> we have three big patches  on the way:
> 1, the SSD patch, which will implement the tiered storage mixed with SSD and ancient disks
> 2, SRV patch, we have a total rewrite on the SRV codes in the DNS and HostDB

Ok.
> 3, the native AIO on Linux

Is this Linux specific? If so, do we really want to maintain two code paths
(our own AIO and something specific for Linux)? Or do you actually mean
POSIX AIO?

If so, what's the purpose of moving to Posix AIO ? Better performance? Less
code for us to maintain? Of all the things we have, our AIO code is probably
the most stable, and has had very few changes afaik. Replacing it this late
in v3.4 is sketchy to me, I'm very -0 on that (almost -1).

Cheers,

-- Leif

Re: [PROPOSAL] Roadmap toward v3.4.0 release

Posted by John Plevyak <jp...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to see the aio patch.  We evaluated several types early on but the
performance was not there and the writes were getting starved.  I'd expect
to see lots of testing under various loads and workloads.

Posted by Yongming Zhao <mi...@gmail.com>.