Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by David Merrill <da...@otelco.com> on 2018/09/28 18:47:51 UTC

TAP/SPAN...

We’ve got a client who would like to ship a copy of all packets that pass through their virtual router to an appliance (that we’d place on their VLAN).

I’ve searched a bit (I’d hoped to see some mention of it in the users list) and haven’t found specific references to TAP/SPAN related to CloudStack, is there a convention for such things? I’m a (tiny) little out of my depth, is this the kind of thing that I might find (if it existed) here:

  *   http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/en/4.11.1.0/adminguide/networking.html?highlight=network%20service%20providers

At the very least is something like this (a kind of roll-your-own SPAN) possible on the virtual router?

  *   https://networkhop.wordpress.com/2016/04/27/port-mirroring-with-iptables/

I wish this had come up at the collab  in Montreal (having JUST been there earlier this week), but so it goes.

Thanks for any consideration/feedback,
David

David Merrill
Senior Systems Engineer,
Managed and Private/Hybrid Cloud Services
OTELCO
92 Oak Street, Portland ME 04101
office 207.772.5678<callto:207.772.5678>
www.otelco.com<http://www.otelco.com>/business/managed-services

Confidentiality Message
The information contained in this e-mail transmission may be confidential and legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this information, including attachments, is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please call me at 207.772.5678<callto:207.772.5678> so this error can be corrected.

Re: TAP/SPAN...

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Any changes inside VR are not persistent, so next restart - you loose all
customisation. Now, if that VR rules works, you COULD technically pull some
magic with Jenkins job and some python scripting to connect to the VR and
determine if needed rules are in place, and if not, to aplly them...(some
of my colleagues done that long time ago...) but it's a messy solution and
not really recommend.

Cheers

Re: TAP/SPAN...

Re: TAP/SPAN...