Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1997/01/23 22:19:58 UTC

Re: Feedback about Apache 1.2b4 (fwd)

not acked.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 14:29:38 -0500
From: Matthew Emmerton <me...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
To: apache-bugs@apache.org, feedback@apache.org
Subject: Re: Feedback about Apache 1.2b4

I'd just like to say a few things:

I've found the distribution of 1.2b4 to be quite stable on my system.
We've been doing 4-user development on a single-user development server,
and Apache doesn't seem to falter, even when we're running the server under
full load.  Our webmaster has done all kinds of wieird things, and all is
well.

However, the biggest bone I have to pick is with your handling of the
suEXEC and CGI issue.  I think that your approach to the whole situation is
totally wrong.  There are numerous errors in your suEXEC code which have
been repeated over and over on the newsgroups, and this is causing
headaches for any beta-tester.

Also, the information on your webpage is *way* out of date.  People are
talking about 'known bugs in 1.2b4', but there is no mention of these bugs
on the web page.  Sure, there are some noted here, but the ones they're
talking about aren't.  Perhaps if your web was maintained a little better,
it might be easier for all of us to find out what we need.  For instance,
I've spend the last 4 days trying to get suEXEC to work.  I couldn't
compile it, so I hacked it.  Then it didn't work properly.  So I hacked
some more.  Then I noticed errors in the logic of the code.  And I hacked
it again.  And then I find out that a beta5 will be on its way soon.  This
is very discouraging.  Even though you say that the 1.2beta4 is stable, the
suEXEC is nowhere near a beta release.

Now, I'm sorry to be so standoffish, but for an organization that has over
40% market share in WWW servers, I think a little more organization and
communication is in order.

Thanks

Matthew Emmerton
Assistant System Administrator					memmerto@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca