Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joel Sather <jo...@csu.mnscu.edu> on 2002/03/20 00:29:36 UTC

Tomcat 4.0.1 to 4.0.3 upgrade problem

Hi, I'm having a problem getting one webapp to work when I upgrade to
4.0.3.  Although the webapp responds normally under the Tomcat port,
when I try to access it via Apache (AJP1.3 connector), it somehow gets a
null pointer error.  The strange thing is that there are two other apps
that have identical frameworks that work just fine via Apache.  The
problem app also has some JSP files and they work just fine--it is just
the servlets that fail.  Does Apache somehow trash the request header in
4.0.3 or something?  Any help would be great, I've been messing with
this all day.  Also, it failed in the same way under 4.0.2.

Working system: Apache 1.3.20 w/ AJP1.3 and Tomcat 4.0.1 (self built)
Failing systems: Apache 1.3.20 w/ AJP1.3 and Tomcat 4.0.2 or 3 binary
builds
Configurations: Same WAR deployments and server.xml, web.xml configs
all around.  Apache is tweaked to point to the modified
workers.properties file.
System: Sun Solaris (SunOS 5.7--forget what that is in Solaris
numbers).

Let me know what other info I can provide about the system.  The reason
I need to upgrade is due to some problems with Tomcat 4.0.1 hanging
under heavy load.

Thanks,
Joel

Joel Sather