Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by Leif Nilsson TACMa <le...@tac.com> on 2003/04/10 13:37:22 UTC

Reusing sockets ?

Hi!

I'd like to know if there is a way to control whether or not a new socket is
created each time I call a specific SOAP service?

>From what I can see in the code it always ends up in the static
HTTPUtils.post method, which always creates a new
 socket by calling buildSocket.

Am I right or can I control this ?
If I can control it how do I do it?
If I can't reuse the same socket can anyone explain why this is so, i.e. is
there a good reason for not reusing ?

Leif Nilsson
Software Engineer

TAC AB
Jägershillgatan 18
SE-213 75 Malmö, Sweden
Direct	+46 40 38 69 56
Fax	+46 40 21 82 87
Mobile	+46 70 299 89 56
www.tac-global.com

This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom
it is addressed. It may contain information that is privileged, confidential
or otherwise protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you have
received this transmission in error, please delete it immediately and notify
me by mailing me.

Re: Reusing sockets ?

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
Touche.  I'll amend my statement to say that code to implement HTTP
keep-alive was submitted, but no one did the work to

1. Resolve the TODOs in the code.
2. Modify the ant build.
3. Create unit tests or a sample demonstrating operation.
4. Install the required 3rd party jar on the build machine.
5. Change documentation to explain how to use this feature.
6. Figure out and document how to support SSL.

That's quite a bit of work, especially considering no one has been
active on this project during the time since the submission.  (I have
researched and committed either 1 or 2 bug fixes, otherwise just done
a little e-mail answering.)

On 10 Apr 2003 at 19:20, WJCarpenter wrote:

> sn> The reason, whether you consider it good or not ;-), is that to
> sn> keep it open for sending additional requests, HTTP keep-alive must
> sn> be implemented.  No one has contributed such code, so we continue
>
> You must mean something other than "no one has contributed such
> code".  Here is a pointer to just that:
>
>   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=soap-user&m=104447554215308&w=2
>
> --
> bill@carpenter.ORG (WJCarpenter)    PGP 0x91865119
> 38 95 1B 69 C9 C6 3D 25    73 46 32 04 69 D6 ED F3

Scott Nichol

Do not reply directly to this e-mail address,
as it is filtered to only receive e-mail from
specific mailing lists.

Re: Reusing sockets ?

Re: Reusing sockets ?

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
You cannot specify that a socket be re-used.

The reason, whether you consider it good or not ;-), is that to keep
it open for sending additional requests, HTTP keep-alive must be
implemented.  No one has contributed such code, so we continue with
the simple connection-per-request-response model of the original HTTP
1.0 specification.