Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2017/06/06 12:00:13 UTC

[LOGGING] Logging and Java 9 (Was: Re: Compiler targets and Java 9)

Hi,

(Moving this to a new topic, since it may cause a lengthy discussion :o))

> Am 05.06.2017 um 16:41 schrieb Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>:
>
> Hi,
>
> thanks to Rob Rompkins, and his recent work on Fileupload, it came to
> my attention that Java 9 will no longer support JVM 1.5, and lower, as
> a compiler target. [1]
>
> This means, that we will be preventing our developers from using Java
> 9, if a component is still below 1.6. (And, I'd expect that to be the
> case for quite some projects.)
>
> Now, leaving the general discussions regarding Java 9, and (in
> particular) Jigsaw, aside, I think that is something that we ought to
> consider.
>
> OTOH, it seems reasonable to expect that Java 9 adoption will be slow,
> given that it isn't upwards compatible.
>
> So, as a  compromise, I propose that we adopt the following policy:
>
> All commons proper components are expected within one year from now on
> to bump their compiler target to 1.6, or beyond, and have a release
> published with that target. That way, we know, that it works fine with
> the Java 9 compiler.

What about Logging? Logging is at Java 1.3 at the moment and we decided, that we don’t want to touch that component since it is so widely spread. I think our advice last time was to refer new users to use Log4j.

Do we apply the proposed policy to Logging nevertheless?

Benedikt

Re: [LOGGING] Logging and Java 9 (Was: Re: Compiler targets and Java 9)

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
The latest discussions I read indicated that adding the automatic module entry to the manifest is NOT recommended unless the component is ready to be modularized except that it has downstream dependencies that are not modules.

Ralph

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@bpm-inspire.com>.
Hi Benedict,