Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Vic Cekvenich <vc...@basebeans.com> on 2003/02/20 18:08:11 UTC

MS vs Open Source link

Overall a good article.
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-985221.html?tag=fd_top

The scary thing is I have heard clients that they think that if they use
any open source... now their software is open source or in a conflict
with comerical software they are using.

.V

Re: MS vs Open Source link

Posted by Jeffrey Dever <js...@sympatico.ca>.

> A good way to handle this is to take the Apache projects, name them
> something different, add a pretty UI and then sell them for lots of
> money to those same customers under a more restrictive and
> closed-source license.

I'm in contact with one company that already does this with HttpClient,
which is of course completely fine by the license.

Re: MS vs Open Source link

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.
> The scary thing is I have heard clients that they think that if they
> use any open source... now their software is open source or in a
> conflict with comerical software they are using.

A good way to handle this is to take the Apache projects, name them
something different, add a pretty UI and then sell them for lots of
money to those same customers under a more restrictive and
closed-source license.

Oh, wait, IBM already does this =)

(Not bashing IBM,  just making a funny - this is sorta the point of the
Apache license)

-Brian

Re: MS vs Open Source link

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

(...)
> As for the article itself, I think it's more the open atmosphere to
> bug-reporting that means opensource is less buggy, and the frequent
> releases, than the code itself being open. So there's no reason why closed
> source shouldn't be the same, except that they're unable to replicate the
> culture that popular open source projects have.

Culture is already a big enough answer. Being impatient as I am, I find
increasingly that culture in closed source groups, no matter how big, is
  much less cosmopolitan than, say, Apache or Debian people. One of the
reasons is because they cannot discuss freely (with lines of code) the
technical problems except in a reduced population, and they tend to have
narrow thinking.

Also, I think a key answer is about shame and pride. I have already felt
ashamed committing very hacky code in "public" repositories due to the
need of having it working, quick fixing, etc. In a closed source culture
thee is no compelling reason to revisit this code, and the probability
of somebody else fixing or refactoring it is quite small. ;-)

You have both a positive reason (being proud of your own code) and a
negative pressure (being ashamed by other people looking at it) to
ensure highr quality of initial Open Source contributions. On top of
this, you have a feed back process to fix problems. So, I won't be
marvelled if the results are (asymptotically) perfect.

Regards,
      Santiago

Re: MS vs Open Source link

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
I can understand them thinking that. I had my gut feeling on it slightly
off for a while, mainly as I was viewing one type of software.

ie) Say I grab an LGPL/GPL Java library and incorporate it into my
product, which btw I install onto client's machines via jnlp.

As I am distributing a product, I have to open source it and furthermore
GPL it.

Now, the mistake I made was to apply this example to other software which
ran only on the server, ignoring the fact that it wasn't being distributed
in this case. Still, it's a pain to have to deal with and not worth the
effort.

That's only for the viral *GPL stuff though.

As for the article itself, I think it's more the open atmosphere to
bug-reporting that means opensource is less buggy, and the frequent
releases, than the code itself being open. So there's no reason why closed
source shouldn't be the same, except that they're unable to replicate the
culture that popular open source projects have.

Hen