Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de> on 2019/07/01 06:50:08 UTC

Re: [DOCUMENTATION] Suggestion for improving documentation making it more accessible

Hi all,
hi Lukas,

excellent idea (fully agree with Chris).
We at pi where pretty busy with our representation at the fair last week... so now everything is going back to normal and one can hope, to see more from us on the lists again : )

Julian

Am 28.06.19, 19:12 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

    Hi Lukas

    10000000 +1 to that.

    Great suggestions!

    I'm currently digging some holes and trenches in my front yard, but I'll get back to you more detailed as soon as I don't have mud and dirt on my fingers... You know... Macs keyboards don't like that 😉

    Chris

    Holen Sie sichOutlook für Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

    ________________________________
Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi all,

ok ... so I just finished what I was working on for the past week or so and now will try to add a more detailed response :-)

First off all, thank you for your email. It was very helpful. Especially your suggestion with a simulator.
Being so focused on Siemens devices I must have completely lost track of the idea that simulators for other systems could be available.
The Siemens PLC Simulators are some times more expensive as the real PLCs, which is sort of nuts.

Perhaps we should start searching and evaluating PLC simulators a little more.
Your OpenPLC project suggestion is definitely something we should investigate.

Regarding a Docker image with installed PLC4X: This is not quite how PLC4X works. You can't really install it like you would install ordinary software.
It's more to be thought of as a Library, which you can use to build applications.
We do have multiple examples in our repo, which demonstrate how to do so for the various types of frameworks PLC4X supports.

But I think I would be a good Idea to provide some pre-configured VMs or containers that provide a pre-configured simulation system.
Then we would update the examples to work on these systems and document how to do so.

Then we could create some videos, as you suggested and publish them.

I think this would really simplify getting started for new people.

So who on this list knows about PLC simulators with nice licensing that would allow creating such images.

Also should we discuss how we would be allowed to publish such VM images. I know this is sort of a topic at the ASF.
Feedback is greatly appreciated for this too.

Chris