Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/01 21:55:09 UTC

Incubation disclaimers (Was: [VOTE] Apache CXF 2.0-M1 Incubating Release)

Hi,

On 12/1/06, Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com> wrote:
> On Friday 01 December 2006 10:10, Martin Ritchie wrote:
> > So are we saying that having a DISCLAIMER file and the disclaimer in
> > the README at the top level is not "clear" enough or does "all
> > documentation" need to have the disclaimer as in all documentation
> > files?
> >
> > Would be good to clear this up and update the Disclaimer section to
> > say exactly where the specified disclaimer text should be put.
>
> What about things like JavaDoc?   Do we need to make sure incubator is
> splashed all over the generated javadocs?
>
> We definitely need a concrete list of places where we need to add the
> disclaimer.

I'm no expert on Apache or Incubator branding, but I would expect to
see the disclaimer in the following places:

    * Front page of the project web site
    * Release notes
    * README files
    * Press releases
    * Email announcements

I.e. the places where a person would first look when encountering the project.

Note that the above list is not carved in stone, for example in the
recent Yoko release I considered it acceptable, though not necessarily
preferable, that the disclaimer was in a DISCLAIMER.txt file instead
of the README file.

BR,

Jukka Zitting